Chapter ➳20

((Colby's P.O.V))

Prom night had finally arrived. People were dancing, balloons were floating around, and lights were blinding. Girls were dressed in beautiful dresses and accessories while their dates dressed in fancy tuxes and bow ties.

Prom was going great till now. I also spotted Corey and Devyn within the crowd but decided to leave them be. And then there was Sam. I still found myself looking through the crowd for him, trying to convince myself he was just late.

I was anxious to be completely honest. He was going to pick me up from home but sent a message saying he was held back a little. I tried not to worry and decided to wait instead. But that was an hour ago.

I let out a soft sigh and decided to just leave and talk it out with him later, but just as I went to move, the doors to the cafeteria were pushed open and gasps erupted from everyone.

My gaze followed everyone else's, and my heart dropped. There, Sam stood.

His face beaten and bruised and tux ripped and abused. It was horrifying and tears were already streaming down my face. I knew what had happened, and only hoped I would be wrong.

That what happened was a simple fall rather the art of his own father. The music had died down but the lights were still flashing. Sam made his way through students who stepped aside for him and walked towards me.

And the first thing he did, was smile. A smile that would've made my heart flutter in excitement if it wasn't for the condition he was in. "I'm sorry I'm late." He whispered, gently cupping my cheeks and wiping my tears away.

"I'm fine," He assured and kissed my lips to calm me down. "No you're not," I shook my head, moving away from his hands and grabbing hand. I dragged him towards the bathrooms and thankfully, everyone went back to normal.

I was happy they didn't add up to the tension and tried to ease it instead. Katrina and Jake sent us confused and worried looks but ignored them. Though I was grateful when they began to follow.

When I reached the bathrooms, I wet some paper towels and tended to Sam's bruises. I knew he wanted to retort but he held it in. All throughout cleaning his bruises, I didn't meet his gaze and kept mine on the harm painted on his arms and face.

Soon enough, the bathroom door was pushed open and Katrina walked in with Jake behind her. Though it was the boy's bathroom she still entered and offered to help after grabbing bandages and wraps from the nurses' office.

-
My eyes stayed focused on the confetti coated ground as I waited for Sam to return. When he did, Jake was hot on his trail and only wearing the button up he wore under the tux.

But when I looked back at Sam, my heart clenched. He gave me one of his most charming smiles and grabbed my hand, pulling me up. I teared up upon seeing Jake's tux on Sam and sent him a grateful smile.

"You know what, let's ditch." Jake suddenly said from beside us making our eyes widen. "Yeah! Why stay here when we could spend the night someplace cool?" He added again, loosening the bow tie around his neck.

I looked behind Jake to see Corey and Devyn approaching with bright smiles. Sam looked at me for confirmation and I let out a breathy chuckle. "You guys are insane." I shook my head.

"Come on! Let's go!" Devyn squealed, and grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the cafeteria. The rest were hot on our trail as we made it out of school.

"Let's go to the beach!" Corey chimed and everyone cheered in agreement.

I met Sam's gaze when we arrived and smiled. "Colby, Sam, let's go!" Katrina called from the sand, running around in the water.

Sam and I followed after shaking our heads in disbelief and stripped our tuxes, letting the ocean water consume us. It was cool, freezing in fact, but we were having the time of our lives.

A pair of strong arms grabbed me by the waist and picked me up. I moved wet hair out of my eyes and looked down at Sam. A bright smile filled his expression and his eyes glistened with warmth and affection.

"You know, I think I can live without a smoke,

                                                             as long as I have you by me."

[[ THE END ]]