Starstruck 39. Love In The Making

Start from the beginning

"What's the show about?" I really had no idea what it was. Eris, as my manager talked to my dad about it without consulting my opinion. They made plans, agreed on some things, and in the end, I just couldn't say no. To top it off, whenever I asked them about it, they were all hush hush and secretive.

"We'll make the arrangements next week." His reply was vague. Too vague for my taste.

Andrea leaned in for a hug and whispered so only I could hear. "It will be good for you. I promise."

A week later, I found myself inside a coffee shop, wearing my usual disguise, standing in line for a quick drink. The photo shoot that I've been doing for another magazine has just ended, and despite all odds, I managed to escape the waiting paparazzi outside the building by going out back and wearing a hoodie over my head. God. Those people were vultures.

Taking my phone from my jeans pocket, I dialed Dulce's mobile. A ring. Another. She didn't answer. I groaned in frustration. My girlfriend hasn't been answering my calls for the past 3 days. It was either she didn't want me anymore, or she was too busy to even check her phone. Both sounded too horrible. Yet the former would just kill me if it was true. The thought of her not loving me would shatter my whole being.

Just as I was tucking my phone back to my jeans, the guy in front turned around, pouring coffee all over me. Fudge! Rather than helping like I expected him to do, he made his way out quickly. What a total ass, I thought as I wiped my hoodie.

"Are you alright miss?" I stopped what I was doing, too shocked. Call it Déjà vu.

My heart pounded uncontrollably against my chest. Could it be? I turned around, sporting the biggest smile. "Dulce?"

The face that greeted me wasn't her. It was a woman about my age, giving me a concerned look. "Are you ok?" she repeated.

It took a few seconds before I found my voice. Disappointment dripped from my every pore. "I'm ok. Thanks." With a subtle nod of my head, I was out of the café, and back to my car. It took everything I had not to cry out in anguish. It was right there. Right in that freaking place where I met her again. But this time she wasn't there to help me. She was thousands of miles away pursuing her dreams.

Gathering my wits, I returned home. Dejected. Lonely. On the point of breaking down. I wanted to hold her badly. God please send her back to me. I would do anything. Absolutely anything at all. I didn't know if I could survive the ache any longer.

Once more, I dialed her number, only to get a weird beeping noise that I've never heard before. With a sinking feeling in my stomach, I realized that she must have cut off her mobile. Did she do it so I wouldn't contact her? No. . .

My eyes landed on the black jewelry box on the table. Dulce shattered it before, turning it into million pieces on the floor. I replaced the box with the same exact replica, which now sat proudly on my desk. Its content was too important. The ring she gave me when we were children. Opening the box, I gasped in surprise. It was missing! The ring was missing!

I got down on my knees, frantically searching for the one thing that I've cherished all those years. It wasn't on the floor. It wasn't on the drawers. A peek in my walk-in closet told me that it was absent from there as well. It took me countless hours searching, and yet the ring was nowhere to be found.

Totally disheartened, I slumped down on the bed, hoping that the angels would take pity on me and bring the ring back together with Dulce. I curled into a ball, hugging myself, pretending that she was beside me, until I fell asleep.

I had a weird yet pleasant dream. That night, the angel visited me. It borrowed the face of my girlfriend, wearing a white flowy dress, leaning against the doorframe while looking at me. As the angel walked inside the room, she smiled, her gorgeous brown eyes gleaming. The wind blew inside the open windows, making the light blue curtains flutter, bringing to me her wonderfully fresh scent.