"I really don't want to hear it." Adriel let out a hard sigh as he turned to face the living room, those dark eyes focused pointedly on anything but mine. "I can't—I don't want to be near you right now." My heart seemed to drop to the pit of my stomach at those words.

       "Adriel—"

       "I couldn't find you!" All words died off my tongue as I watched the fire in his eyes turn molten, then slowly choke the light from them. "I'm serious. I need you to leave me alone for a while." Adriel turned with a shake of his head and stalked slowly back up the stairs. He didn't look back once.

       I let my body slide down the cool glass of the front door, shaky breaths escaping my lungs as I forced down the knot in my throat. I wouldn't cry. Not over this. Adriel didn't make me leave when I killed his parents, he hadn't let me leave. He wouldn't push me away because of this. But that didn't stop the hollow ache in my chest.

       This day really was turning to complete shit.

-&-

       "Larkin..."

       Wind brushed across my shoulders, tangled my dark curls, and kissed my cheeks. I tilted my heard curiously to the side. There was music in my ears—a soft dark lullaby gently carrying all thought away.

       "Come to me..."

       Something wrapped around my chest and pulled, urging my feet to follow the lyrical dark path. A twig snapped in the distance and the music died away until there was nothing but a soft lull urging my eyes closed—urging me to give in.

       "Come to me."

       When I opened my eyes again, he was there. The man from my dreams. He was still clouded in shadows, but I could just barely make out the rough outline of clothes, of dark jeans and a jacket, though that was as far as the details would go. Yet despite that, I knew he was smiling at me, his hand held outstretched in invitation.

       "We have places to be..." The shadowed man said, but his voice seemed different. More disembodied than before with an urgency lacing his words. I didn't move closer. He never tried to urge me anywhere, and always seemed as curious as I was about what I was dreaming. This time was different. I shook my head and took a step away. That hidden smile fell.

       "We must go."

       No, no I didn't want to go.

       The man stepped towards me, which I matched with a receding step of my own. "I don't want to." I said to the shadows as the forest thrummed to life. I liked it here. I didn't want to leave. So often I hated wherever my mind took me, but this place was nice. This place was soft, and warm and it sang. Sang to me. No one ever sang to me. Why would he want me to leave?

       He took another step forward, his hand still outstretched. "We must go now—"

       "Larkin." I turned at the voice, at the feeling of warmth and sunshine despite the darkness radiating from him. He was there, behind me, completely shrouded in shadows, no ounce of light or detail to be seen, but I felt an immediate sense of ease. Like a curtain had been lifted from my mind, I knew that the other one was a fake. A dark creature sent to fool me.

       Those midnight black eyes washed curiously over me, slowly rolling over every inch of my body—as if he were checking for something the naked eye couldn't see. Then that gaze flickered to the other shadow being, and I watched fire burn to life in cracks between the darkness. Like burning coals in a fire.