Historical Betrayal

Start from the beginning

I caught a few of the black youth throwing hateful looks at me and Lily as we passed by, I suppose they have a right to look at us, white people, like that. It was my grandparents, and  my great grandparents that were enslaving the blacks so I could see why they starred at us that way. I personally have nothing agnaist black people, because my friends at school are black, and  Martin Luther King has been queit viral this past two years on TV with his powerful speeches, I really hope my parents start have different view about darker skin people.

“Philip, do you ever wish all this racist hate, and white supremacy theories would just die out?” Lily said in a low voice not sure if I would agree,

“Well, you know it would be nice if everyone could have equal right, and if we could just forget about racism, but you know that’s never going to happen Lily” I said looking back at the black activist protesters.

We sat at the cofee shop and ordered two light strawberry milkshakes, they were always our favourites. The store always had a warm and welcoming atmosphere with the smell of rich chocolate from the chocolate milkshakes, and the smell of roasted cofee beans warmed me all over, it was my second home. Lately though, this place has been filled with people speaking agnaist the recent Martin Luther protest for black peoples rights, I never say a word of agreement nor of disagreement, but it really kills me that my people are so hateful and  ignorant towards black people without thinking about for a minute, WHY? There are signs all over the coffee shop lately that read “WHITES ONLY” and “NON-BLACK PREMISES” I honestly hate coming here nowadays but what can I do about it, I’m just one man agnaist a whole country called America, I thought hopelessly.

“Philip?” Lily suddenly said pulling me from my train of thoughts “Are you alright? You look mighty tired, I reckon you wanna leave right?” She said with a hint of concern in her eyes,

“Yah, I guess lets go, wait let me pay for our drinks” I said digging through my front pocket for coins

“I already paid, right infront of you...and  you agreed that I could pay, remember?” Lily looked at me as though I’ve lost my mind

“Ah, right you...did, now lets go” I waved my hand  to the clerk at the desk and  head for the EXIST door. I tired to avoid the racist posters that were plastered everywhere-especially on top of the Martin Luther King posters, this was a war that would never end.

Lily tired to smooth her puffy hair in the warm spring wind as we waited for the bus to the hospital. There at the bus station  stood  a group of white folks, and behind them  stood black folks. All of us were waiting for the bus, but all of us weren’t going to get on, that’s for sure I thought sadly, but what can I do about it?

Liliy and I got on the bus, that was now packed with white folks and all the black folks had to wait for the next bus with no white people on it.

“ I think you should stop making the black race issues such a big deal for yourself Philip, I mean we all know its wrong, but it’s not like you can do anything about right?” Lily said as she caught me starring at the black folks who were still waiting at the bus station. I shrugged my shoulders without saying a word, I mean what could I say? I had to live my life watching black people be trampled in society and  noone takes a second look at their cruelty, expect Liliy and I.

We finally reached the hospital, it was one of the largest in New York, Grandpa used to work as a political journalist, but everything he’s written about in the past has racist comments and ideas filtering through his articles which were written more than 20 years, so I stopped reading them. Lily had already walked  towards the register table and was already arguing with the woman behind the desk. I walked quickly towards Lily to hear what the fuss was and why Lily wasn’t allowed into the guest waiting room.