𝟏𝟔 | 𝐅𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐓𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐄𝐦𝐩𝐭𝐲 𝐕𝐨𝐢𝐝

Start from the beginning

A small girl no older than twelve years of age peers through the stable doors, seeing curiosity in the girl. She had red tinged brunette hair, and light brown eyes. Yet she held an irritated glare towards me, while I unfocus my attention upon the horse and back to Mr Braus.

"Mr Braus, this your daughter?" I gesture to the girl, who stood more broad away from the door in full view.

He turns around before a nervous chuckle leaves his lips.

With a heavy sigh with his shoulders he nods, "Yep, sure is........her name is Sasha......she's a handful,"

My eyes drift back upon the girl before making my way over, while signalling Lena to gather the horses with the soldiers waiting outside. Sasha steps back a little, but I held a hand out to assure her I'm no threat.

"Hey........Sasha......it's nice to meet you," I greet her softly. "How old are you?"

".........."

Feet shuffle over from behind me with a gruff sigh, "Sasha answer her, she's being polite to--"

I held a hand out, "It's alright, she's shy, right?"

Yet I saw a different look flash behind his eyes making me realise, there is a bigger problem than what I'm assuming. "You see......we're actually finding it hard to find good game from our hunting," He informs me. "It's hard enough to come by......and my daughter prefers to gobble down our winter's supply......ever sin--"

"Ever since those people from Shiganshina barged themselves here," Sasha seethes through her teeth. "They've got no right! They just take, and have no consideration for others!"

My eyes slowly widen, taken back from her harsh words.

"Sasha, I've already told you........titans caused the downfall........"

"It's still the people's fault for taking what's ours!" Sasha snaps angrily, before she runs off leaving me standing there. This girl......she must've loved her homeland. Standing there processing her words, a heavy sigh leaves Mr Braus's lips.

Mr Braus sends me an apologetic glance, shifting his hat to chest.

"I'm sorry for her outburst, I can--"

Shaking my head I give him a soft smile, "It's fine, the act of desperation and survival is a natural instinct of being human,"

He sighs deeply, with a heavy and solemn look within his eyes.

"She's........she's gonna be joining the 104th cadet corps next year, hope ter give her a better view on the world," he says, his accent thickens. "She's....pulled down by our old ways and tradition, she finds it hard to.....let go....."

The 104th Cadet corps, that's right I was placed to help train the cadets seen I don't have any more soldier's on my squad. Miche had enough on his squad, and Levi finally formed his squad with Oluo, Gunther, Petra, Eld. Being only Lena and I, I decided to help Keith Shadis with training the new cadets.

"I will watch over her then....."

He lifts his head up in confusion, locking eyes with my own.

"What do you mean? Aren't you part of the survey corps?"

Nodding with a soft hum, my hands settle against my hips.

"Yeah, I'm training the 104th cadet corps next year so I'm able to watch over her," I assure him, about to head off to find Sasha. Pausing for a moment, I glance sideways. "But.........the look within your daughters eyes......I see something, that urge to still fight......that headstrong will keep her alive."