keeping it simple

Start from the beginning

El had gotten him a card as well, only it was normal sized, along with a couple of boxes of his favorite chocolate.

"Open your card!" She urged, excitement all over her face. Mike happily did as told, not feeling even the tiniest bit surprised when he found a dog staring back at him on the front of the card.

Valentine, I can't seem to keep my paws off of you!

"How cute." Mike teased, before flipping to the inside, reading over what was printed on the card, then reading what El had written herself.

Mike,

I never would've thought that I'd be sharing Valentine's Day, my first true Valentine's Day, with the cute guy from across the hall.

I really never expected any of this to happen, but I wouldn't want to change a thing. All this time I've spent with you has been a dream and I truly hope this dream never ends because it's the best.

You fill my heart with so much happiness and you make me so blissfully content with life. I can only hope that I make you feel the same.

Thank you for being you, the most amazing guy on the planet. Thank you for treating me the way that you do and always making me feel wanted.

And thank you for being my Valentine, Mike.

El

Mike smiled to himself, letting his eyes scan back over her words, as he was literally unable to speak due to what all was whirling around inside of him. The things she wrote in that card had somehow managed to make him feel even stronger for her, a feeling he would happily welcome.

"It was too cheesy, wasn't it?" El hesitantly asked, his silence being the cause of her silly worries.

"What? No! It's not too cheesy. It's perfect." Mike assured her, reaching out to take her hand in his. "Thank you, El."

She gave his hand a light squeeze in response to his thanks, before letting go. "My turn now!"

El grabbed her card from the table, her hands moving quick to open it up. Mike watched as her eyes read over the words he had written down inside, the words he knew by heart at this point.

El,

You are my sun, my moon and all my stars.

You brighten my days, from the moment I see you until the moment you leave. Even then, your radiant presence lingers, leaving me with a warmth that never seems to die down.

You shine such a bright light on my nights, being the moon and all the stars that accompany the dark sky above. With you, I will never find myself wandering in that darkness, lost or afraid. I will always know exactly where I'm going, because the only place I need to go is wherever you are.

You make up my whole entire world and without you, I truly don't know how I could exist.

I'm not too certain how I ever did before. Even if it was only a short time ago that I was living life without you, it seems like a lifetime when I think about it. It almost feels like a nightmare, a nightmare that I truly don't ever want to live through again.

I'm not quite sure what I did to deserve you, but I'm so very lucky to have you in my life and I'm especially lucky to have you as my girlfriend.

You deserve the world and I will stop at nothing to give you that.

Happy Valentine's Day!