Chapter 5

Warren reemerged refreshed and ready to cook. Within no time carne asada steak sizzled in a large cast iron skillet with the most mouthwatering aroma wafting into the air. Jolie readied the shells and accompaniments and placed them on the table. By the time she was done the meat and sauteed onions and peppers were perfectly browned and ready for the table.

She felt a flash of recognition at the ease and familiarity she felt sitting down across the table from him to eat. She and Luke hadn't gotten the opportunity to share a meal too often but the memories of the few occurrences were fond and painful. She shook it off the thought and dove into the steaming, spicy meat before her.

"This is really good!" she exclaimed.

"It's even better with this guacamole and pico de gallo!" They both looked up and chuckled around mouthfuls of food. Warren raised a hand and Jolie met it for a high five.

She was floored for a moment by the skin to skin contact. His hands were warm and slightly rough. She shook off the observation and returned her thoughts to the food.

Once all of the tacos were gone Jolie got up to retrieve the cake and a cup of coffee.

"How can you drink coffee at this hour? Won't it keep you up?" Warren quirked a quizzical eye at her.

"Habit. I worked graveyards for so long I got used to evening coffee. It doesn't seem to affect me too badly. I sleep fine." She cut into the cake and placed a thick slice on his plate.

Warren shoved a large bite into his mouth and chewed slowly. After a while he swallowed. "So good."

Jolie smiled with pleasure and cut into her own piece. "So I got a job today."

"I'm doubly impressed! Where?"

"The little second hand shop on the corner of 7th and Linden?" She gestured half heartedly with her fork.

"Oh, Estelle's place! That will be a good place to work. She is fair and sane. So does that mean you are staying for a while?"

It took her a second to swallow before she could answer. "Well, James called and it's going to take at least 3 weeks before my bike can be done and a lot of money. That puts me in the middle of December. According to Google, you guys will likely be covered in snow at that point so I figured it might be better to hold out here until spring.'

Warren ignored the sudden spike of happiness he felt at the prospect and told himself it had to do with the cake.

"Makes sense." He shoveled in another bite.

"So I've got a couple calls in on apartments. There weren't many options in the paper, especially furnished ones."

"Why?" She stared at him in confusion. "Why don't you just stay here?"

She stared at him like he'd grown a horn.

"I couldn't do that. It's one thing to help a friend of a friend out for a couple of days. It's a whole other thing for me to pretty much move in here. You don't know anything about me."

"I don't see how? I know enough and I'm a good judge of character. I have the room, it just sits empty over there. I'm hardly home and everything you could need, I pretty much have. I'm willing. You can even pay me if it makes you feel better."

Jolie shook her head. "I don't want to intrude on your whole bachelorhood thing."

"My 'bachelorhood thing' as you put it consists of the occasional Sunday football game gathering of men and beer. I hardly think you'd really impede that. In fact, they will be happier here if you happen to bake something, not that you would be obligated to or anything." He winked her way and slid another piece of cake onto his plate.