Chapter 4 : The trial game

Start from the beginning

"I'M BACK FROM THE DEAD BRATS. IT IS TIME FOR THE GAME. DUE TO TIME EACH MATCH WILL LAST FOR TEN MINUTES WITH A 5 MINUTE BREAK IN-BETWEEN. SO TEAM 1 AND 2 STEP FORWARD AND BEGIN YOUR MATCH", Keith shouted.

The first and second team came to the court and the match began with the other trainees sitting as the audience and watching the match.
The two teams got in the middle of the court, bowed and took their positions. One member from each team remained in the middle with the referee between them. The referee blew his whistle and and threw the ball in the air and the match began.
The match was a bit slow in Armin's perspective as the players were playing nervously and constantly slipping up on openings. Armin figured that they were scared of being discarded and that  Erwin's words had sunk in which was affecting their play. Halftime reached and teams rested on the benches with the score 10-11.
Armin looked around for familiar faces and saw Finn and Reiner sitting on the same row. By Finn's expression it looked like he was asleep. Armin couldn't believe it and just chuckled inwardly at his behavior secretly hoping that Keith does not catch him.

At the end of the game the score was 17-20 with team 2 winning the match.
Erwin came up and called for Team 3 and 4 which was Armin's team(team 3).
Armin, Eren, Jean, Bertholt and Connie came to the court and they were a bit surprised at who team 4, their opponents were. Finn, Reiner, Marco, Thomas and Marlowe made up team 4.
The teams stood opposite each other in a straight line, bowed their heads and went to their positions while Eren and Reiner remained in the middle to catch the jump ball.
As the referee came, threw the ball and blew the whistle, the game started.
Eren and Reiner both jumped but Eren hit the ball first which passed on to Connie who caught the ball.
Connie began to run towards their opponents a bit nervous as he had only played basketball once. As he got to the middle he stopped, bounced the ball and passed to Bertholt who immediately shot a three into the basket.
"Woaah!!", cries of surprise went up from the audience who were impressed at the shot that Bertholt made.
So that's their plan, Finn thought, to score first and keep on the lead with us at a disadvantage. Hehe interesting and if I guess right Armin's the one who came up with it.
After the first basket, Thomas held the ball and passed it to Reiner who bounced the ball while looking around and passed it to Marco. Now Marco has a special sense that allowed him to view the court from an eagle's vision for a short while which enables him to pass effectively and steal the ball from other opponents. As Marco held the ball Eren ran towards him in an attempt to steal the ball but Marco made a surprising move by faking a pass to Finn but passing it the other way towards Marlowe who was within the 2 points range. This caught Eren off guard but surprisingly Jean caught the ball before it could reach Marlowe and passed it to Bertholt who shot another three into the basket.
Woaah, another set of cries went up from the audience.
"Say Reiner, how far can Bertholt shoot on the court", Finn asked
"From about half court", Reiner replied
"In that case, Thomas change your mark to Bertholt and Marlowe let your mark be Eren".
"Got it", said individuals replied.
"Reiner mark Armin and don't let him leave your sight"
"Wait what?", Reiner said.
Exactly the reaction I was looking for.
"Never mind Reiner I'll handle Armin", Finn responded, "take care of Jean".
"Okkaayy", Reiner replied skeptically.
As Marlowe ran with the ball he passed to Reiner who cut through Connie and passed through. On getting to the two point line he stopped and passed to Marlowe who made a shot within the two point range.
"Alright regroup", Reiner shouted and they fell back to their positions.

"We're late", Anna said as she and Mikasa arrived at the entrance to the court.
"Don't worry it's just the second minute into the game. We still have plenty of time to see them play", replied Mikasa, who stood beside her looking at the scoreboard.
"6-2, it's like Armin's team is in the lead"
"Seems like it"
"Isn't that Annie over there?", Anna said. "Hey Annie", Anna waved as she and Mikasa made their way over to her.
"Hey", Annie replied.
"I take it you're here to see Reiner and Bertholt"
"Not really. They forced me to come"
"Hmm, well let's sit and watch them", Mikasa said as they took their seats and watched the match.