I exhale, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear as his words sink in. He's right. It's either stay with him or risk death out on the streets. I may have a shitty life, but I'm not ready to bite the dust just yet.

Fifteen minutes later, we're inside Jace's black Mercedes and heading over to my old apartment. His hands grip the steering wheel as we drive through the empty streets, nearing my old home with each second that passes. The closer we get, the more nervous I become. I really don't want him to see this shitty place, but it's all I've been able to afford.

"I hope we have enough room in here to grab what you need." He looks over at me as I play with my old ring nervously. "Nice ring," he says while watching my hand.

I quickly slap his leg and point at the road. "Do you mind watching the road?" I snap, nervous that Jace will crash.

He looks down at his leg with narrowed eyes and lets out an amused laugh as I release it. "What, don't you trust me?"

I hug my arms to my chest and bite the bottom of my lip. "Please, just watch the road," I say firmly. "I hardly even know you. Besides, I learned long ago never to trust anyone. Everyone will hurt you in the end..." My voice trails off as I lean further into my seat. The softness of the leather makes me comfortable and suddenly tired again, as if I hadn't gotten much sleep.

The smile instantly fades from his face and his gaze sets back on the road. "That's not the way to live," he breathes. "We'll have to find a way to change that."

I sit in silence as I begin to play with my old ring again, gently tugging it on and off as I hold back the burst of emotions running through my mind. I feel torn. I know that staying at my place isn't an option but yet I don't even know Jace. How can I be so stupid to agree to his offer?

"Are we close?" Jace questions, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I jerk my head up just in time to see us passing my apartment. The building is old, rotted and covered in moss; not hard to miss. I wrinkle my nose at the sight and let out a small breath. "It's right there. Go back just a little bit and pull over in that parking lot." I point over to the tiny parking lot and lean back into the plush leather of the seat.

Jace pulls into the parking lot and stops the car as I purse my lips. "Good luck with that," he murmurs, narrowing his eyes as he peers through the windshield and over at the angry man fisting the door.

My dickhead of a landlord stands outside the apartment door, pounding on it and screaming as if he's the only one that exists. "I know you're in there, girl. Your ass doesn't get naked until at least ten o'clock! Open the door!" he screams in rage. "Don't make me open it myself." He's always been very persistent and I hate the little bastard for it. Especially right this second.

I smile quickly, appreciative of Jace's help, before opening the car door and running over to the apartment door, ignoring the random faces that watch me. "I'm just here to get my stuff and then I'll be gone," I say, breathless. "Just give me a few minutes.

He looks over at me with a gleeful smirk creasing his features. A mop of brown curls fall around his greasy, fat face. The scar on his upper lip stretches as he smiles up at me. I always wondered how he got that scar. My guess is by someone kicking the crap out of him. He's a horrid piece of shit, and the thought has even occurred to myself on numerous occasions. "I should keep all of your-"

"Be cool," Jace interrupts. "I'm helping her grab the stuff that she wants and then you'll never see her again." I didn't realize he had come to help me and as I stare at his impressive frame towering over the stumpy old man, I feel my heartbeat soar. I've never had someone stand up for me before and I have to admit that it feels pretty nice. "We'll leave with no trouble. You have my word."