"Win."

Great, at least it was a start. Bright was expecting a wave of awkward silence after throwing out that question but he was thankful that this boy Win responded. Just when he was about to prod him further, the petite boy bowed slightly and muttered a small 'Thank you' before he hurried off leaving Bright alone with his questions.

The boy was strange indeed. Not only did he not initiate the conversation with Bright, he was also supposedly the first ever who ended the conversation as quickly as it started even before Bright could ask him anything else. Bright was used to girls clinging and latching on him, even a simple wave in their direction would get them swooning over him.

But Win, he was different and it was this very difference that piqued Bright's interest.

--- scene jump ---

"So did you get to talk to him today?" Man questioned Bright eagerly who was now gobbling up his favourite dish - fried chicken. It was finally lunch and Bright was starving because he was too busy saving the damsel in distress this morning, he had not had the time to have his breakfast.

"Mphfm..I did." Bright responded with chunks of chicken in his mouth.

"What did y'all talk about? I bet he was already falling head over heels for you." Boss chimed in after taking in a mouthful of his congee.

"Nothing," Bright shrugged. "We only exchanged names."

"WHAT?" Boss and Man sat up straight while exclaiming simultaneously in bewilderment. Bright flinched when he realised some of Boss's congee had got onto him and Boss did not even realise it because he was clearly too preoccupied with Bright's affairs.

"I thought you'd exchanged numbers at least!" Man slouched back in his chair disappointedly. Boss mirrored Man's actions as he too sighed while shaking his head, still in disbelief that someone would be uninterested in Bright Vachirawit - the school's most popular kid.

It was as if God had heard their pleas because as soon as Bright stepped into the lecture theatre for his next lesson Economics, his eyes caught sight of that familiar black hoodie at the front of the theatre. Bright bidded a hasty goodbye to his friends before deciding to approach Win - Man and Boss had been urging him to get Win's number else he was doomed to fail the bet.

On a closer look, Bright noticed that despite the dishevelled hair, Win actually had rather prominent features. He had a pair of bright doe eyes behind those thick glasses, freckles on his cheek which had a natural pink blush that really complimented his miky-white skin and rosy goldilock lips.

Bright was too engrossed to have noticed that Mr Earth, their Economics lecturer had already entered the theatre and was about to begin the lesson and Bright was the only one not yet seated.

"Mr Vachiwarat?"

Bright snapped out of his daze almost immediately upon hearing Mr Earth calling for him before hurrying to take his seat next to Win upon realising that he was the only one standing awkwardly by the aisle. Bright shot a glance at Win who didn't seem to mind his presence the least bit. In fact, the boy was probably too preoccupied with writing his notes to even notice that Bright was sitting next to him.

Lesson went on (boringly) as usual but this time, Bright was struggling to find an opportunity to talk to Win. He needed to get his number ASAP but he didn't know how. Honestly, Bright never felt more embarrassed with himself than he ever did in his entire life. He's had several flings, yes, but the girls whom he flirted with were different, just a few sweet-talks and they were his. Yet now, he was struggling to even get a boy's number which even got him perplexed.

"So, I'll need all of you to get into pairs for this research project. This project will count towards your final grade so please give it your all. Submission is in a week's time so don't be late otherwise marks will be deducted."

Bright was too absorbed in his thoughts that he hadn't paid any attention to Mr Earth's lecture, that was the only sentence he picked up from the entire session this afternoon. The lecture theatre instantly began to get rowdy as everyone looked for their pairs, with the exception of Win who didn't even seem to care. It was no surprise then that many girls went straight for Bright, all eager to become his partner.

"Anyone without partners yet?" The lecture theatre immediately went silent again at the sound of Mr Earth though low whispers could still be heard.

In the corner of his eye, Bright saw Win raising his hand timidly after a short pause and the lecture theatre suddenly became excited again - this time Bright could hear low snickers and mocking laughters as everyone turned their attention to Win who was the only one raising his hand.

Bright suddenly grew uncomfortable hearing those sneering remarks though it was not directed at him but it was as if his conscience was pricking him which left even Bright confused. Bright was never the sort who had a great sense of justice, he pretty much minded his own business as far as possible and was uninterested in the affairs of others. Yet, right now, he was behaving otherwise.

God knows what came over him but in the spur of the moment, he stood up from his seat swiftly and raised his hand mechanically. The whispers soon died down and the theatre went dead silent at the strange sight. Everything was happening way too fast for even Bright to digest because the next thing he knew-

He volunteered to be Win's partner.