" 'As Karkaroff arrived yet?" Madame Maxime asked. 

"He should be here any moment," said Dumbledore. "Would you like to wait here and greet him or would you prefer to step inside and warm up a trifle?" 

"Warm up, I think. But ze 'orses-"

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher will be delighted to take care of them the moment he has returned from dealing with a slight situation that has arisen with some of his other - er- charges." 

"My steeds require - er- forceful 'andling. Zey are very strong... ."

"I assure you Hargrid will be well up to the job." 

"Very well," said Madame Maxime, bowing slightly. "Will you please inform zis 'Agrid zat se 'orses drink only single-malt whiskey?" 

"It will be attended to," said Dumbledore, also bowing. 

"Come," Madame Maxime said to her students. They began their walk up an into Hogwarts.  

The excitement among the Hogwarts students grew as they excitedly discussed how the Durmstrang students would arrive. 

Lalia listened to Sue's guess when suddenly there was a muffled rumbling and suckling sound.

"The lake!" yelled Lee Jordan, pointing down at it. "Look at the lake!" 

The Black Lake's surface was suddenly not smooth at all. Some disturbance was taking place deep in the center; great bubbles were forming on the surface, waves were now washing over the muddy banks - and then, out in the very middle of the lake, a whirlpool appeared, as if a giant plug had just been pulled out of the lake's floor... .

A long black pole began to rise slowly out of the heart of the whirlpool and then rigging. Slowly, a ship rose out of the water, gleaming in the moonlight. The ship looked skeletal. Finally, with a great sloshing noise , the ship emerged entirely, bobbing on the turbulent water, and began gliding toward the bank. A splash was heard as an anchor was released, and a thud from the plank being lowered onto the bank. 

People began disembarking the ship. All of them built similarly to Crabbe and Goyle. As the figures came close, Lalia realized this was due to the fact they were wearing cloaks of some kind of shaggy, matted fur. The man leading them, however, was wearing sleek and silver fur, similar to his hair. 

"Dumbledore!" he called heartily as he walked up the slope. "How are you, my dear fellow, how are you?"

"Blooming, thank you, Professor Karkaroff," Dumbledore replied. 

Karkaroff was tall and thin, similarly to Dumbledore. His hair was short and white and his goatee did not entirely hide his rather weak chin. When he reached Dumbledore, he shook hands with both of his own. 

"Dear old Hogwarts," he said, looking up at the castle and smiling; his teeth were rather yellow, and his eyes remained cold and shrewd. "How good it is to be here, how good... . Viktor, come along, into the warmth... you don't mind, Dumbledore? Viktor has a slight head cold... ."

Karkaroff beckoned one of his students forward and Lalia turned to see who it was after hearing the Hogwarts student audible intake of breath. The Bulgarian Quidditch player, Viktor Krum stood next to Karkaroff. 

After the introductions had ended, the Hogwarts Head of Houses led the students into the Great Hall along with those from Durmstrang. Lalia and her friends walked to Ravenclaw table and were shocked to find the Beauxbaton delegates had gathered there also. 

Turning to see where the Durmstrangs had gone, she watched as they walked over and placed themselves with the Slytherins. 

Filch added four chairs to the staff table; he placed two on either side of Dumbledore's. The staff entered and last in line were Professor Dumbledore, Professor Karkaroff, and Madame Maxime. When their headmistress appeared, the pupils from Beauxbatons leapt to their feet. This caused some of the Hogwarts students to laugh and the Beauxabtons party appeared quite embarrassed. However, they did not return to their seats until Madame Maxime had sat down at Dumbledore's right side. Dumbledore remained standing.