Cutlass Anne - Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Twenty-seven

The pub was right across the street. They did not even bother taking me anywhere out of the ordinary. I ran across the street and through the door. It had filled up within the few hours I was gone. I kept my eyes down and made my to the bar. The same man was standing behind it. He glanced up at me briefly, his expression never wavering.

"Where is he?" I asked, almost growling at the man.

"Who?"

"Andrew."

"I don't know no Andrew." He wiped the counter.

"Do not lie to me. Where is he?"

"I ain't lyin, ma'am," he said, not looking up at me.

I snatched the man by the back of the head and slammed him into the bar. Everyone quieted down and watched the debacle. I did not care though. I was making my move from possibly having some morality left to being a full-fledged pirate.

"I will ask you one more time, sir. Where is Andrew? If you do not answer me I will use my very sharp sword to kill you."

"H-he's upstairs."

I pushed his head even harder into the wooden counter. "Now was that so fucking hard?"

He shook his head, and I turned toward the stairs at the back of the room. I climbed the stairs slowly, placing each foot delicately on the step in front of it. The door to Flynn's room was open a crack. I could make out Scully's form at one side and Andrew near Flynn's bed.

"Damn it, Andrew," I muttered.

Carefully, I pushed the door open enough for my body to slide in. Scully furrowed his brow at me, but I shook my head at him. Andrew was bent over Flynn doing something. I had to stop him before he killed the man I love. I crept to the small table near me and picked up the porcelain basin. It was incredibly heavy.

"Andrew, what were you thinking?" I asked.

He turned around and seemed genuinely surprised to see me. I shook my head and smashed the basin on his head. He sunk to the floor in a bloody, crumpled heap.

"What did ye' do that fer?" Scully ran to the unconscious man.

"He's not who he says he is."

"Then who the bloody 'ell is he? And where have ye been all night?"

"I was tied up across the street. Two men, who are dead in that house, drugged me."

He removed his cap and scratched the top of his head. "So why you smashin' stuff on the doctor's head?"

"When did he get back?" I asked instead.

"Late I suppose."

"Tie him up."

"What are we going to do with him?" Scully retrieved twine from a bag near the bed and used it to tie the doctor's wrists.

"I don't know." I turned and ran out of the pub.

The bustle of people had picked up immensely. Men walked around carrying cargo and nets. Ships were coming into the bay and others were leaving. The Cutlass was still docked though. I ran through the growing crowds toward the busy bay. I knew we would have to somehow smuggle Andrew on the ship, and I still needed to find a surgeon for Flynn.

"Ryder!" I yelled for the boy.

"Aye, ma'am?" He popped up from below deck.

"Grab a big, burlap sack and follow me."

"Ma'am?"

"Don't ask questions."

"Aye." He obediently grabbed a sack and followed.

"Do you see the pub up there?" I pointed to the shabby-looking building.

"Aye."

"Good. Go in and stick Andrew in that bag. Carry him back to The Gilded Lady and chain him up somewhere."

"Ma'am?"

"I'll explain later. Just do it. I have to find the surgeon around here."

I patted the boy on his shoulder and ran off down the street. There were so many people milling about.

"Anne?" A man called to me.

I turned, scanning the crowd for a familiar face.

"Over here!" I saw a hand waving at me.

"Christopher! Good, you can help me. I need to find a surgeon for Flynn."

"But Andrew . . ."

"Don't talk about it right now." I rubbed my temples.

"Okay," was all he said. I began to like being the captain.

"Find the surgeon. Take him to the King's Crow. I have to find someone who may know where Jane is."

"Go. I'll take care of Flynn."

I nodded and ran toward the dock.

Okay, so if I were to buy a person, where would I go?

I stopped and looked around. Unfortunately, there were no signs openly advertising stolen girls. I walked around the different groups of men trying to eavesdrop. Unfortunately, they were talking about the storms and monsters they had run into on the seas. A few talked about the new pirate that was taking over the seas and fighting other pirates. I held back the smirk that wanted to escape. Then I saw it. A ship sitting toward the back of the last pier. A man disembarked dragging a young girl behind him. The girl looked to be Jane's age. Her chocolate brown hair hung down her back, and the dress that looked as though it had been a fine gown at one time was reduced to a filthy rag. The girl looked around with a horribly desperate look on her face. I did not want to imagine the horrors the poor thing had been through. I ducked through a few of the groups, never taking my eyes off the man or the girl. He paused briefly in front of a house, knocked, and went inside with the girl. I ducked down the alley alongside the house until I found a window. Standing on tiptoe, I peered through the filthy window. The man seemed to be haggling with another man. The girl was now shackled, and I could see her tear-stained cheeks.

"Please, please just take me home!" She dropped to her knees sobbing.

"Get up, girl. You will never go home again. You belong to him now," The man tipped his hat to the other, turned, and left.

I could not watch more. I left the alley and went up the front steps. I stood there waiting for the trader to emerge. As he opened the door, I smiled coyly at him.

"Outta the way, wench."

"Oh tsk, tsk. That is no way to speak to a lady." I shook my head.

"I see no lady," he said.

"But you do." I pulled the cutlass out of the sheath.

"Put that down before you hurt yerself," he said, shaking his head.

"Get in the house. Now."

"What?" he asked, narrowing his eyes at me.

"Get in the house."

He turned and went back in with me following.

"Why are you back, Jerry?" the man in the large room asked.

I shoved Jerry to the floor and reached out for the girl.

"Hey! That belongs to me!" he protested.

"That?" I asked pointing to the girl. "That is a girl. A little girl. And she does not belong to you. She's coming with me."