12- Little Changes

Start from the beginning

The cold air caressed my neck and face, blowing my hair back. I made it all the way to my locker without any disruptions. I grabbed my history binder, tucking the large textbook under my breath, and kept my eyes downcast the whole way to class. It was weird, walking with no one with me. I don't think I have done that this whole year.

I pushed open the door, spotting Alice at the back of the class. I pursed my lips, making my way back. The smaller girls golden eyes lit up when she saw me, and I couldn't help but return the gesture. "Cordie..." Alice began once I sat down. "I want to say that I am sorry about Jasper and Emmett yesterday. They were being really weird and it got out of hand."

"It's fine...really it just... caught me off guard." I answered, trying to avoid eye contact with the shorter girl.

"Then why aren't you making eye-contact with me?" Alice asked, and although I couldn't see her, I could tell she was smirking. I looked up, angling my head so my hair fell and partially covered my face. "What do you mean?"

"I've known you for long enough to tell when you are lying. You avoid eye contact with me."

"I do not!" I defended, dipping my head to grab my pencil. "See!" Alice cried, bouncing in her seat. "You did it again!"

I laughed, reaching over to hug the shorter girl. "Thank you. You always know how to make me feel better."

"As they say." Alice grinned, exposing her glistening teeth. "That's what sisters are for."

***

Sadie:

New discovery: my mom is pregnant.

Courtney:

You're joking.

Sadie:

Can't say I am.

Courtney:

If you are kidding I'll hunt you down to the gates of hell to kick your ass.

Courtney:

Sadie?

Sadie:

I am kinda pissed, but she had me when she was seventeen so its not like she is forty or something.

Sadie:

But Nate is mad.

Courtney:

He's 13, give him time.

Sadie:

I know.

Sadie:

I wish you were here.

Sadie:

But I am glad you like it in Forks.

Courtney:

I do like it... you should come visit sometime.

Sadie:

Def will.

Sadie:

Gram lives in Seattle. That's not to far.

Courtney:

Yeah.

Courtney:

Shit I gotta go, love you, good luck!

Sadie:

Love you sis.

***

Lunch that day has been something I have been both dreading and anticipating all day.

Jasper was weird in English. His voice was strained and he kept his head down all class, although every once and a while I saw him glance up to look at me, then his expression hardened and he looked down again.

At the end of class I passed in my paper and rushed to get out of there.

I slid next to Bella at lunch, keeping my head down and feeling the burning gazes on me. I ignored Jessica, and gave Tyler Crowley a small smile. "I don't believe we've met. My name is Courtney Swan, I am Bella's twin sister."

He grinned back, the first time I have ever made a positive first-impression on any of Bella's friends. "It's nice to meet you, Courtney. I'm Tyler." He shook my hand firmly. I smiled. I like this guy.

"Hey the Push baby, you in?" Eric picked up on the previous conversation they were having, directing the question at Bella. We shared a confused glance. "Should I know what that means?" Bella asked, grabbing a carrot from my salad.

"La Push." Mike explained. "The have a really nice beach down at the Quileute Reservation. We are all going tomorrow."

"There's a big swell coming in." Jessica added, smirking as if I would care about not being included in their surfing expedition.

"And I don't just surf the internet."

The table proceeded to have a debate about Eric's surfing skills, while I sat back and watched thoughtfully. "It's La Push baby, La Push!" Eric exclaimed again, and I leaned over to Bella. "If he says that again I am La Pushing him off his chair." I whispered, and she snorted in amusement. "I'll go if you stop saying that." Bella negotiated, and Angela leaned over to Mike and whispered something in his ear.

"Oh, yeah, um- Courtney, you should come too!" Mike offered, his cheeks a light red. I shrugged, sitting up straighter in my seat. "I don't know." I began, tugging on the sleeves of my jacket. "I am not the best swimmer... and I am terrified of the ocean." My voice trailed off as my eyes landed on Jessica's triumphant face.

"What the hell? I may as well." I grinned, and Tyler nudged me with his shoulder. "Hey, I can teach you to surf." He offered, and I sighed. "As long as you promise to not let me get eaten by sharks." I joked, and the table laughed.

"I promise." Tyler assured me. I let my eyes wander past his blonde head, and my eyes landed on Jasper's golden ones. He tilted his head, and I raised my eyebrows, before turning back to the table.

"Maybe a little change can be good for you."