An illogical paradise

I still remember the chill of that night. Of course, I couldn't feel it myself - but I could sense it was cold. I looked around to see the squad shivering slightly as they made their way through the snow, slowly.

I wasn't emotionally attached to these men and women, but they were all I had ever known. I felt myself growing bonds to my superior officers, like a child would with its parents. This bond was illogical, I do realize, but I couldn't quite help it.

Feeling this attachment did always strike me as peculiar, and it wasn't the fact that I felt it that confused me. It was the pure fact that I could not define why I was feeling it.

I am a machine. Every slight move of my eye is calculated with the utmost precision, and every thought that drifts through my mind consists of familiar logical algorithms. It's precise. It's rational. It works.

But for some reason, I could find no explanation for why I felt this. I am not alive - I have never been alive. This artificial attachment does not benefit me in any way, so why am I feeling it?

That was what I was thinking about that night of the revolution, before I was quickly awoken from my ponderings with a gunshot.

I still dwell on that moment, every single day. It was as if time would stand still between the deafening shots.

There was only one at first, I saw the bullet incoming but I was too far a way to react. A female officer in my department fell to the floor on impact, and the paper white snow soon turned maroon.

That's when all the bullets came, and I recognised where they were coming from - I had just realised that as we were walking down the evacuated streets of Detroit, we were being watched.

A PL600 android was perched on top of a rooftop not too far away from us, holding a machine gun. And, more alarming then that, it was pulling the trigger.

I still remember the blood, how all of my squad had fallen into the snow, and naturally died almost immediately. After all, the attacker being an android designed to babysit, it had an excellent aim function built into it's brain. I doubt it would be a match for my much more advanced programming, but what chance did my human co workers have?

I still remember, barely two seconds after the shots finished, turning my head slowly, and scanning my environment.

They were all laying in the snow, and my scan could no longer detected their names or backgrounds on sight, which could only mean one thing.

As I looked at them, titling my head in curiosity, an unfamiliar sensation penetrated my brain. And I felt something. A certain grief, a certain loss - a certain heaviness I couldn't help but feel in my throat.

That's when everything started to go a bit blurry, quite literally. My vision was flashing from colour to black and white, to painting the scene with nonsensical colours and registering the sky as green.

A large alert message covered everything I could see, the bright red struck into me as I panicked. I looked down to see my own hands covered in something blue. - Thirium I scanned to be from a prototype RK900, or, less formally put, me.

The error messages popped into my head like notifications. 'Hazard.' 'Multiple Vital Bio-Components damaged.' 'Shutting down in 3... 2... 1...'