Chapter 18: The Truth

I was all set and ready. I was alone in the room. I looked at myself in the mirror. This isn't happening! Riley, I thought, please help! I was feeling sleepy again and lay on the bed for a while. I closed my eyes and I began to dream...

I was screaming something, I was thrashing, crying and shouting. I felt like dying, I wanted to run. I was taking Finley's name continuously. I was apologizing to him and talking in my sleep...

"Finley I am sorry I should have listened to you and we should have got married back then. I was worried about mom and Eva and Benji. Now I don't care, I can't take this pain anymore, take me away from this pain, and take me away from everything. Please, Finley, I want you and want to be with you. I am sorry, please! Please!" I was yelling loudly and scratching when I felt someone pulled my hand off my chest.

"Finley!" I shouted and opened my eyes and saw it was Aunt Melony. She had tears in her eyes.

I got up slowly feeling very weak and tired.

"I came up to see you if you were ready but then I found the truth!" she smiled wiping her tears "silly darling, why didn't you tell me? It is a good thing I came up to see you now or else I would have done a grave mistake!" she said

"I was just dreaming, Aunt Melony, you know I talk in my sleep. It is nothing" I told her wiping my forehead which was covered in sweat and getting up to go

"Melony, how is she?" Uncle Tim came in

"Come in, you need to know something," she told him

I looked hopelessly towards them when Aunt Melony told everything she heard to Uncle Tim

Uncle Tim looked at me and at her and then seemed relieved and happy. He asked me to sit down and said "I knew something was happening with Finley, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I didn't realize it was about you, Avery. We are terribly sorry dear"

"No papa, there is nothing like that. It must have been just a dream." I said

"Please forgive us," Aunt Melony said lovingly caressing my face. "I am happy at least one of my sons chose you. I just wanted you as my daughter and I wished one of you could have told us earlier then things would not have come this far."

"Okay, let me take care of this" Uncle Tim said rubbing his hands "but first I need to find Jordan. I bet he knows about you two? So this is what he was trying to tell us, Melony" he said

I nodded "I have done well then!" he said proudly now turning around to go.

I hugged Aunt Melony and broke down in her arms and told her everything. How Finley and I fell for each other 3 years ago, how we got engaged and wanted to get married in Germany. How we parted ways as I couldn't go with it knowing our family history and how I hurt everyone. I just couldn't keep it to myself anymore. I wept in her arms while telling her.

She listened patiently and was patting my arms and wiping my tears.

"I am sorry Aunt Melony...I hurt you." I told her finally

"Actually we hurt each other. I should have asked you about your feelings in private but put you in a situation" she said patting my back

"Now do not take tension. We shall talk to both your parents and yes Erica's too. Poor Finley, he was forced into that engagement too then " she said nodding her head and wiping my tears.

I leaned on the headboard and rested my head and closed my eyes. It is over. Everything is over. I could feel warm hands on my shoulder and I shivered again. It felt like Riley's. I could feel her around me. She did this! She must have done this. That idiot girl did this and I mouthed "thank you" to her but I could feel she was trying to comfort me as if there is more to come and to be strong!