Chapter 1: The Bells

Ernest walked down the path to the mansion while Mary Ann continued on. She'd do a circuit around the block before coming in, it was better to arrive separately so as not to arouse suspicion.

Ernest was trying to light a cigar when the hosts answered the door.

"Welcome, friend, to Edgar Allan Poe's murder mystery, invite-only casual dinner party/gala for friends potluck," Edgar Allan Poe said. "Lenore will take your dish and your coat."

Ernest tossed his coat at Lenore, who let it fall through her to the floor. She looked at him and rolled her eyes.

"Looks like you've got yourself a ghost infestation, friend. Lookee here." He flicked open a blade. "I brought a switchblade so we can skewer wild boar in the backyard. Then we can roast it," he waved the knife around casually, "over an open flame. Only an open flame."

Lenore looked disgusted but he just rolled his eyes and pushed past them. He'd been in the house before and knew his way to the dining room. His eyes surveyed the labels and came to a stop on his. On one side of him was George Eliot and on the other was Charlotte Brontë. Not bad, but he was especially pleased to see George - Mary Ann - next to him.

Ernest mostly ignored the others as they trickled in.

~~

Mary Ann leaned against the door frame when they opened the door.

"Ah..." Edgar Allan Poe looked at her for a moment. "Mary Ann! So-"

"The name's Eliot. George Eliot. Likes: beer, sporting, talking about sporting. Dislikes: peeing sitting down, tending to the home, not talking about sporting."

"Mary Ann, I'm not sure I underst-"

Ernest was right. Goddammit.

"Seems you have me confused with some sort of damsel," Mary Ann interrupted. "I understand, I have very soft skin. But the name's George Eliot. It's two male names. It's easy to remember."

They stood there for an awkward moment and then Mary Ann spoke again. "Now. Show me to the billiard room. Or a voting booth!"

Once all - or at least, most - of the guests were sitting down, Edgar Allan Poe stood up at his end of the table. "Friends, thank you for being here. We are still waiting on a few guests who are definitely my friends. Agatha Christie said she would be running late. Also my dear, dear friend Annabel Lee, and her plus one. Also, Emily Dickinson."

Ernest nudged Mary Ann with his elbow and she coughed quietly to hide a laugh and shifted in her chair. Everyone knew how much the host liked Annabel Lee - much more than just friends, as he claimed.

"Now, tonight will be quite exciting. You were all given a character card with a name and a brief biography. Please study it, for it is to be your identity for the duration of the evening."

"Mine's blank," Emily said.

"Ah, yes." There was an awkward silence. "You have picked the rare blank character card. Good on you!"

"Uh, my card says I'm a duchess," Mary Ann began. Ernest rolled his eyes at her but she ignored him pointedly. "Seeing as how I have absolutely no insight into the mind of a woman, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to trade cards for a male character."

Oscar Wilde squinted at her suspiciously. "Please, no trading," Edgar said quickly. "Now, Lenore will bring out the soup. Lenore!"

Lenore gave him a sarcastically happy look and snapped her fingers, causing bowls of soup to appear on everyone's plates.