Act One - Man's Best Friend

While it makes sense your first encounter would be with anyone but a beast, the person giving you a tour isn't prey either, but more of a happy medium between the two: a dog. Not quite a carnivore and not quite a herbivore, he's what you learned to be an omnivore, a kind you were often taught to be wary of just as much as a wolf or a tiger. Even so, his presence is about as warm and welcoming as sunrays on a cold, winter day, and you find it hard not to smile when he continues to show you around the place, stopping when he sees he's left you far behind. His excitement is one you wish you could manifest just as much as him, though reminders of how you had to behave at this school make you hold yourself back.

Now that you were eighteen and close to graduating, your parents had given you three simple rules to follow: never step out of campus at night, never join acting, and never show daintiness. All of them were nevers, not single space for protest left in those rules. You already knew the consequences of going out at night and letting any sort of bubbly nature out. Being forbidden to join acting was by far the only thing they hadn't explained to you.

"(Y/N)? Are you okay?"

Jack's call brings you out of your line of thought, how concerned he looks making you take note of the face you're making. Often, you scrunched up your snout and furrowed your brow whenever you got lost in thought. To any outsider, it would seem as if you're perturbed by something, so you hurry, words leaving you in a rush, "I'm fine," you reply, smile returning. "...Just got caught up with something else."

"Nervous about staying here?"

"About everything, honestly."

He manages to laugh at that, eyes brightening as he motions for you to follow him again, your next destination appearing to be the rooms, judging by the rows of doors, along with one left open and a bed in the background. There's a student by a dresser, combing her fur without so much as bothering to look at you, too focused on her brushing to notice the door's been left open. With her being a wolf though, you assume she's confident in herself, at the very least based on the rumors your parents and every other family member taught to you.

You freeze when you realize Jack's made a stop right at that door, gesturing with his head for you to walk in. 

"Is this allowed?" you blurt out, rushing to cover up not a moment after that question leaves your mouth. "I-"

"It's okay," he intervenes, laughing again. "The principal told me you were homeschooled, so if you have any questions about how things work here, you're free to ask me! And you can come over to my place if you need more help with showing you around."

"Bold of you to invite a girl into the boys' dorm." A feminine voice comes from behind Jack, the wolf from before appearing behind him. "You're my roommate, aren't you?" She smiles, nodding with her head over to the room. "What are you standing there for? I want to get to know you! I was told about your arrival almost three whole months ago, so the wait has been long enough."

"...You're Juno?" you ask, making memory of the list handed over to you just a few hours ago. 

She nods, eyes softening. "(Y/N), right? It's nice to have a herbivore who won't ask for a change the second she sees me."

Guilty, you can only hope she hadn't heard you earlier ago. You thank Jack before following her into the room, speaking up when you make sufficient mental preparation for it, thoughts running wild again. "...Why would they do that? Isn't it normal at this school?"

"It's allowed, and though it's not too uncommon for  carnivores and herbivores to be placed together, things got a lot more tense after a student's passing." Her ears droop, a hint of gloom clashing with her friendly demeanor. "It's why you're the only other person in this room, and why I try not to walk alone in the halls anymore." She breathes in deep and lets it go afterwards, a swoon seeming to take her over, replacing her sadness. "Although... I guess I wouldn't have met someone wonderful if some students hadn't cornered me for being a carnivore not long after I arrived here."

Juno sighs, facing you with droopy eyelids and a softer smile. "Tell me, (Y/N)... Have you ever fallen in love? It's the most wonderful feeling I can describe!"

She sits down on the bottom bed, though she scoots aside, leaving you space next to her. "They say your last year at school's the last chance you have for experiencing a feeling so strong, but I like to believe it will carry on as long as your love's strong enough for it!"

While you're a bit lost as to what point she's trying to make, you smile, nodding as you wait for her to continue speaking. After all, having two friends at the start of your final school year didn't sound like a bad idea. Hopefully, your lonely days would start to change, your conversation with Jack and your current one with Juno the most interaction you'd had during all your eighteen years of life. Knowing you were finally free to meet as many people as you'd want as well as learn over brand new things and the relationships between beast and prey made your worries and doubts more than worthwhile.

You hear Juno out until she asks if you have a special someone yourself, the question an awkward one based on how little people you knew. So far, the only experience you remember similar to that of having a crush on someone was by reading stories of adventure and challenge when you were younger, these confiscated by your parents whenever you got too many ideas, fell for a character, or whenever a book so much as mentioned the word carnivore between its pages in a light beyond that of hostile and negative.

Wishfully, circumstances would change soon with this new path being offered out to you; in that you carried strong and unshakable hopes over.

And, who knows? Maybe one day you'd sneak out to watch the night sky, too.