Act Six, Scene One | Making Plans

As has become customary since you first met her, you're sitting with Juno at a lunch table – the quietest spot available by the time you both got here.

          Your tray's almost entirely empty by now, while the wolf's is barely halfway there. You don't want to be rude, so you try your best to slow down, however difficult it proves to be. Routines have always been your thing, meaning it's not much of a surprise for you to be looking forward to meeting with Jack and his friends at the library a second time. It had been one full week since that day, and he'd brought up the suggestion to make that a more regular occurrence through a phone call. Add in your daily, nightly chats with Juno in your dorm and the fact that Haru seemed okay with your company, and you finally feel like you've gained a steady routine to hold on to for the rest of the school year.

          "Is there something on your mind?" your roommate asks, grinning at you when you meet with her eyes. "You're spacing out again."

          You try not to grow too flustered when she gives you a knowing look, clearly still misinterpreting your true intentions with the friends you've made so far. Dom and Jack were pretty welcoming and comfortable to be around with, and even the male wolf – while more reserved – didn't seem to mind getting along with you. Haru's a different story, mainly due to your awful first impression, but also for how spunky and straightforward she appears to be.

          "I'm just going to the library later today," you reply, managing a faint smile. "I, um… I- I'm meeting with Jack, Dom, and Legoshi there after I'm done studying."

          At the mention of that last name, Juno's eyes brighten and her tail shakes. 

          It's clear she tries to hide her affection for the owner of that name, yet she fails the second she opens her mouth, her excitement almost overflowing from it, "You didn't tell me you've met that many people already!" She takes a bite from her meal, continuing when she's done with: "When did you meet those other two? Did Jack introduce you to them?"

          You nod and continue with your own meal, reminding yourself to eat slower when you bring the next scoop to your mouth. 

          "I was studying, then Jack came around and introduced me to them." Embarrassment makes its return when you look back on that day and how Dom had called you out on one of your choices. While a good seventy percent of the books you were working with were academic, the other thirty had been simply for entertainment. It was unfortunate the peafowl had discovered one of the steamier reads amongst the bunch. "Everything went pretty well, but… Dom... H- He found me out with something kind of… embarrassing, to put it that way." 

          Hearing your stutter, Juno's grin grows, and she emphasizes her curiosity by leaning closer over the table. "Care to tell me what is that 'something'?" Mischief glints in her gaze, intensified when she winks. "Did he tease you like I've been doing?" she taunts, giggling. "Your face right now looks just like the one you make when I joke around with you!"

          It's near impossible for you not to smile at how warm her words sound. 

          She's enjoying herself, no doubt, though – based on how she treats you – it's noticeable she means well. 

          "He, u- uh…" You breathe in and face down at your tray, needing a distraction. "He found this book hidden with the other ones I had."

          You excuse yourself for a moment to pick up the books left aside on the floor, a bag holding them all in one place. Meekness overcomes you as you consider the risk of taking the book out in front of so many people, yet one look of encouragement from the wolf and another at how few students there are nearby allows you to find the needed courage for bringing it out. So, you act swiftly, handing it to Juno as quickly as you retrieve it.

          ""Old Friend, Old Soul'," she reads, analyzing the cover. It doesn't take long for her to bare her teeth into another grin, a laugh leaving her when her gaze lowers. "'A thrilling romance?'" she asks, in between giggles. "You're so silly, (Y/N)! From what you were telling me, I was expecting a steamy romance, not an adventurous one!"

          "Th- There's a difference?" you blurt out, face burning. 

          That only makes it worse, seeing as her eyes light up more than before. 

          "Did you really pick this one out, mistaking it to be that instead?" Juno suspends herself over the table, using her free hand to give your shoulder a nudge. "You sneaky sheep! And yet here I was, thinking you were all oblivious to this kind of stuff!"

          "Juno," you whisper, shushing her. "People will hear us!"

          Worries over having attention brought upon you fade away when you see her dissolve into uncontrollable laughter. How sincere she's being right now makes you smile in return and let your tension go. Though still a bit tense, you fold your hands over your lap and wait, calm loosening your shoulders.

          And that peace lasts shortly, smile fading when she looks at you with a more serious gaze, "Be honest with me," she says, composing herself to stare back at you. "Were you expecting this book to be more… risky?"

          You nod once, quickly and hoping it will be sufficient for her not to notice how nervous you are. 

          Regardless, she does, and she covers up another laugh. 

          "Even though I've never been in a relationship before, I… I still know some of the basics, but not enough with how much my parents censored everything that had to do with romance or anything similar to it."

          "Homeschool troubles rise yet again, huh?" the wolf questions, eyes half-lidded as she rests her chin over her hands. "Want to practice with me, then?"

          Your eyes turn round, the bluntness of her question making you take it literally. 

          By the time you think over her offer twice and see how she's looking at you, you're able to brush that off as her simply wanting to help you out. 

          "Could you?" you ask, feeling your voice close to shaking. "How... How would we, though?"

          "Easily enough!" With that exclamation, she stands up from her seat. "Later tonight… We'll practice flirting at our dorm." She's serious now, eyes narrowed as her lips turn firm. She means business, her apparent expertise over the topic manifesting itself over her body. "I'll be acting as whatever person you're interested in, and you'll be trying to flirt with me." The wolf takes a pause, her tail's fervent shaking lessening when she breathes in and out. "Then, when that part's out of the way, I'll be flirting with you – to see how you respond!"

          Suddenly, a hand's offered out to you, in wait for yours. 

          "What do you say, (Y/N)? Sounds like a plan?" She finally breaks into a smile again, stern expression vanishing from her visage. "But you have to promise me you'll put those skills to proper use. I'm not training you for nothing!"

          You stare at her hand, analyzing your options. Nervous, you gulp away your worries and make space for valiance in your mind. Then, you nod once, a more confident smile showing through. 

          "Sounds… Sounds good," you say, shaking her hand. "I'll do it, Juno!"

          She's beaming more than the sun itself.

          "Good answer!" she replies, returning your smile.