Kaylee Jones~Part Two

Kaylee blinked once, twice, three times before everything became clear. Well, everything except her hearing which was only allowing her to listen to a very high pitched ringing sound. Slowly, the ringing transformed into the quick talking of three old men standing above her. The shortest of the men ran out of sight, and the other two each took one of her arms and half carried her into a small shack.  They placed her gently on a small bed, and quickly left the room allowing her to sleep.

   When Kaylee awoke, she had no idea where she was, and there weren't any hints in the room to help her figure it out. Everything around her looked old and slightly worn, although not in a vintage type of way. One time her mother had taken her to an antiques store and all the furniture, while old, looked sophisticated and had a story to tell. One look at any of those chairs could show you that someone had put work into making it using only the finest materials, and then sold it to a family who used it with love.

   Unfortunately, that wasn't the case for the three legged table beside Kaylees rickety bed. The minimal furniture in her room looked like it had been scraped together out of necessity, and then shoved in a closet to collect dust like the creator decided they didn't need it as much as they thought. 

   Kaylee quickly realized that furniture shouldn't be the number one thing on her mind and slowly tried to get out of bed, wincing at every move. She limped out the door and stared silently at the three men, all talking over each other in a foreign language. After a few seconds of standing by her door, the three men suddenly stopped talking as they stared back at her. The youngest looking man started to talk in English. 

"Your ship crashed on our island. Where are you from? Do you know where you are?"

  Kaylee tried to talk and answer his questions, but her throat seemed to be blocked, not allowing a sound out. Her eyes were the opposite, and any blockage that were in them disappeared as tears spilled freely over the brim of her eye and down her cheek.

   The wetness of her tear brought back a familiar feeling, and with it her last memories. Kaylee recalled the wind batting her ship back and forth like a kitten with a ball of yarn, and raindrops increasing as they splashed down her face, similar to what her tears were doing now. While there was very little that she knew, one thing was for certain. She was stranded, and no one knew where she was.

   The men flashed her a quick look of sympathy before she ran from the room and opened the front door, determined to find her boat and sail home. The door swung open and Kaylee wasn't sure if it was she who opened it, or if the gusts of wind outside had knocked it down. Outside was another storm, complete with lightning, wind, and heart-breaking thunder which continued to bring back Kaylees memories.

  The lightning illuminating the sky, and the rain clouding her vision reminded her too much of the last hurricane she saw when she tied herself to the mast, and hoped that she wouldn't die, because hope was all she could do. As she stared out into the hurricane, again all she could do was hope that there was any chance of her leaving this island alive.

  Lost in her memories, a firm hand touched her shoulder, bringing her out of her flashback.  Kaylee wiped her tears and turned to see the man who saved her life. It was the first time she had seen him close up, and it was clear that he was much older than she originally thought. There were wrinkles etched deep into his skin, like proof of all the emotions he had experienced. But in the center of the many wrinkles, were kind eyes.

   Kaylee closed the door and looked into those kind eyes.

"I'm Kaylee Jones, and I've come from America."