Chapter 27

AMERICA'S POV

AMERICA'S POV

"You remember the plan, right?" Steve asks as he sets out plates on the picnic table. I roll my eyes.

"Steve, I made the plan. So yes, I do remember the plan."

"Right, sorry." A smile creeps onto his face, and it inevitably spreads to mine. "I'm just excited."

He leans in to kiss me right as Addi comes barreling over, out of breath. "They're in the driveway now!"

"Who, honey?" I ask, ruffling her red hair. Even though she's not biologically mine, the little girl looks very similar to me. I love having her around the house.

"Uncle Buck and Aunt Anna!"

"Really? Go say hi to them!"

She runs around the house, where I'm sure our guests are getting huge hugs. They've all been super supportive of us adopting and Addi loves them all.

Steve quirks an eyebrow up. "This is our last chance to abandon the plan."

"Nope. Not happening. Today's the day."

I straighten my loose shirt a final time and check my reflection in a window. Unless they were really looking, I don't think anyone would guess at my being pregnant. Good.

Anna and Bucky walk into our backyard a few seconds later, our energetic daughter majestically riding in on Buck's shoulders. We haven't seen the two of them for a little while. They've been busy working with Sam to track down Zemo, a project I've been helping with behind the scenes. Even though I know I've left SHIELD and can't risk missions anyway, it's still something I believe in: shutting down any remaining Hydra operatives for good. They've made decent progress, but it still might be a while.

As I'm hugging Anna, my brother and sister arrive, followed by Sam, Clint and his family, Bruce, Pepper, and Morgan. I wink at Steve from across the lawn. The gang's all here.

I embrace Sam tightly, and he hugs me back. "I missed you. It's been months, Sam!"

"Hey, not all of us can just settle down in domestic life like you and Cap," he jokes warmly as he pulls away. "It's good to see you, Mer."

"Val!" Pietro calls from across the yard. I wave to Sam and go join my brother and Clint in a flash. They seem to be deep in an argument, but I interrupt them anyway.

"I'm so glad you could make it!"

Pietro ignores my greeting completely and cuts to the chase. "Barton thinks that because I'm technically older than you now, you're probably faster than I am."

"You got five years of absolutely nothing," Clint claims. "He didn't."

"I was always faster than her!"

I actually consider their debate. "I don't know... I can see both sides. When you guys brought us back, though, I was in the same shape I had been in five years ago. I don't know about you. Have you been training still?"