53 || The Yule Ball

Start from the beginning

"It's chocolate frogs!" she cried exasperatedly. "You got me a dress for the ball, and I got you chocolate frogs!"

But Draco was smiling. "I'd take chocolate over fancy dress robes any day."

Katie spent most of the day engaged in a snowball fight with the rest of the Slytherins, but at five o'clock, she announced that she had to go and get ready for the ball.

"What, you need three hours?" Draco called after her.

"Yep!"

This was a lie. Katie was sure she could've gotten herself ready for the ball in twenty minutes, but she was far too excited to see what the dress Draco had gotten for her looked like, and she couldn't wait another moment to find out.

Needless to say, she was not disappointed.

***

Despite the fact that she had given herself three hours to get ready, Katie still arrived at the Entrance Hall for the Yule Ball a few minutes late. Everyone was gathered here, waiting for the doors to the Great Hall to open. She felt very self-conscious in her dress — she wasn't used to wearing clothes as elegant as the gown that Mrs Malfoy had bought for her, so she walked with her arms timidly wrapped around her torso.

Katie spotted Harry amidst the sea of people. He was glancing around, searching for someone. Taking a deep breath and cursing under her breath at the fact that her heart was pumping wildly, Katie started making her way over to Harry. Her legs were trembling uncontrollably, and she cursed at that too.

Harry's eyes peered through the crowd, and they lit up when he saw Katie making her way over. They trailed down the dress and his breath got caught in his thoat.

It was a vintage style dress with long, silky sleeves that slightly dipped off the shoulders, and a green skirt that slightly shimmered in the candle light. Small silver detail melted down from the waist and formed swirls on the upper part of the skirt. The silver shimmer made it almost impossible not to ogle at the dress. But it wasn't only the dress that looked breathtakingly stunning. Katerina herself looked extraordinary. Her hair fell below her shoulders in loose curls, long wisps dangling down in her face. Although she wasn't wearing much makeup, Katie's face was almost glowing.

"You look — I — wow..." Harry stammered nervously. Katie felt a blush rising on her cheeks. She bit her lip to stop herself from grinning like an idiot.

"You look great, too," she said sheepishly. "Did Mrs Weasley pick the robes?"

Now it was Harry's turn to blush. "Er — yeah — I know they're a bit tacky..."

"Tacky?" the exasperated voice of Ron Weasley cried out. "Yours are all right! I look like a bloody idiot!"

Ron's robes were quite the sight. They were deep maroon in colour and looked more like a velvet dress than robes. They had a moudly-looking lace frill at the collar and matching lace cuffs. Katie clapped her hand over her mouth to stifle the loud laugh that she had just let out.

Ron glared at her, but his facial expression quickly changed when he fully took in the sight of his friend.

"Bloody hell," he breathed. "You really do clean up well."

"Wish I could say the same." Katie teased, making Harry snort in amusement.

"Who did you come with, then?" Harry asked Ron.

"Padma Patil," Ron replied. "She's Parvati's sister — Ravenclaw. Where's Hermione?"

Katie knitted her eyebrows together. "Is she not here yet?"