"And act like I don't care more about her like you do?" he snapped, causing a few people to give them curious looks. "Don't criticize the way I show my affection, and I'll do the same for you."

His brother held up his hands in surrender. "Alright. I'm sorry. I know you're really into her and are just adjusting to the fact that I like her too."

Chris didn't answer immediately. "I still don't understand why you didn't tell me sooner. I know you said I should have noticed it, but I didn't. That shouldn't have stopped you from sharing your crush with me."

"I already am."

"I didn't mean it like that."

"You keep saying that..."

"Are you angry with me?"

"No!" Will lowered his voice. "I'm just in a bad spot, okay? As your brother, I want you to be happy, but for myself, part of me hopes she chooses me instead."

Chris pulled back as if he had been slapped. He had been expecting an answer similar to that, but it didn't diminish the sting of knowing his brother partially wanted him to fail.

"Are you mad I said that?" his brother asked, echoing his earlier question.

"No," he muttered, staring at Elena's empty seat before vacating his own. "I'll see you later, Will," he said.

***

Elena stopped walking when she realized she was boxed in by the James brothers on the Lunch line—Chris in front of her and Will behind her.

"Are you checking out my brother?" Will whispered in her ear, causing her to flinch in surprise.

"No, of course not." She took another step forward, ignoring the way she half-hoped her old friend would turn around and see her. His back muscles were taught, as if he were angry about something. If this were before he moved, she would have hugged him before asking what was wrong. But she couldn't do that now because they weren't that close anymore and moving toward that would most likely only bring Natalia's wrath down harder.

"It's okay if you are," Will prodded.

"But I'm not," she replied, looking at him over her shoulder. "So leave it alone."

"Me thinks the lady doth protest too much."

"You're being ridiculous, Will. Don't you have some fangirl meeting to attend?"

"Nope. Hate to disappoint you, but those are only on Mondays," he winked at her. "You can make the next meeting."

She rolled her eyes. "I don't even know what to do with you anymore."

"I could give you a few suggestions."

Elena heard a cough in front of her. She turned to see Chris was standing ramrod straight like an iron pole had been sewn into his spine.

Will chuckled at his brother's strange reaction.

A feeling of unease settled over her and she decided not to converse with them anymore while on the line—and the rest of day if she could manage it.

She didn't get her wish. Somehow, in the process of getting a salad and drink in addition to her hot meal, the brothers fell behind her and followed her to the one empty table in the crowded cafeteria.

She placed her tray down and rounded on them before they could do the same. "We need to stop meeting like this."

Will flashed a full-fledged smile at her before sliding in next to her. "We can't enjoy each other's company while eating a ridiculously fancy meal for a high school?"