Chapter 2

Natalia was waiting in the living room when Elena and Leighton girls arrived. "Why are you so late? It's almost four."

"Don't blame me," Leighton said. "She was late and I had to wait for her."

Her stepmother's eyes narrowed. "I see. Go up to your room and start your homework, dear. I'd like to talk to the ungrateful troublemaker."

Elena winced. She knew what came next. First a completely undeserved scolding, then a beating to drive it home. Leighton flounced away, and she silently cursed Chris for landing her in more trouble.

"Phone," her stepmother ordered, holding out a hand. Having password-locked it already while riding in the car, she handed it over immediately. "You won't be getting this back until Monday." Shit. "How many times do I need to tell you to be punctual?"

She didn't answer.

"Since we've gone over it many times, I see no point in lecturing you again." Natalia reached into the closet and pulled out her late grandmother's cane. "Are you wearing a shirt underneath that sweater?"

"No, I'm not."

"Go put one on now. Then take your punishment."

Elena ran upstairs, silently noting the contradiction of her stepmother. Natalia had no qualms about inflicting pain—as long as she didn't have to see the resulting damage.

She went back down, knelt on the cold tiles and started counting, silently screaming each time the rod came down. Natalia never hit the same area twice, spreading the pain until it consumed her everywhere.

After ten excruciating strikes, she was banished upstairs and denied dinner. Luckily, she could still use the bathroom. She took a shower, changed, and started on her assignments for the week. Working ahead let her enjoy her free periods and afternoons in peace. She never told her stepmother that she finished early.

At two in the morning, after finishing all her homework, Elena pulled out her pens, pencils, and her current sketchpad. Settling on her bed, she flipped to a new page and started a new portrait of her and her father. The warmth from the blankets and quiet surrounded her. No one was around to criticize, punish, or scrutinize. For what felt like the first time since the James family returned, she was free in her solitude.

Most people avoided all-nighters at any cost. They were desperate means for a passing grade after too much procrastination. For Elena, they were gifts. The exhaustion numbed her pain while the adrenaline kick got her through the next day. Staying up also allowed her to get ready early, robbing Natalia of a reason to get mad.

At four, Elena's started a portrait of her childhood friend.

***

Something was wrong. Christopher had noticed it in gym class during the warm-up laps. Elena had been moving slowly and barely pumping her arms like everyone else. When the teacher had told her to pick up the pace, she had sprinted ahead, passing him and his brother in the process. He had heard her labored breath and saw the pained expression on her face.

He pulled Will aside in the locker room after class. "Did you see Elena just now?"

"We all did. Why are you asking?"

"She seemed a bit off. She had a hard time keeping up."

"Maybe she just has bad stamina and burned herself out too quickly."

"Perhaps," he replied. Pulling out his phone, Christopher sent her a text. Are you okay?

A period passed. And then another. He checked again after the third, but she hadn't replied. Was she ignoring him?