"So," Avy changed her tone from casual chit chat to stern and serious, "will you show me your letter or not? Because I can continue polishing these spoons until I make a hole in them."

That sounded like a most definite threat. Wendy imagined poor spoons pleading for help and mercy, as they're wearing thin with Avy's every stroke. Wendy decided to spare the poor little thing and procured a black velvet envelope from underneath her coat.

"Here," she placed it on the table.

"Ooh, real velvet. Very nice," Avy put the spoons away in a drawer and reached for the envelope. "May I open it?", she asked.

"Yes, you may."

Wendy nodded and watched Avy, as her friend pulled out a slightly crumpled letter. Her eyes skimmed the page quickly, her pupils widening and a smile spreading across her face. As she finished reading, she carefully folded the note, putting it in its place. "Incredible.", Avy whispered conspiratorially, "you are going to become a witch. A real, certified witch, Wendy."

"Uh-huh", Wendy nodded and smiled back.

"It's like all the things you told me are true. All the stories about witches, and ceremonies, and ridiculous quilting practices." Avy paused, "Wait, does it mean, that you really have been stealing mail all this time?"

Wendy's heart began to pace faster and faster. Maybe it was the coffee doing its work or maybe it was pure excitement, either or, it worked. She was now alert and nervous. What would she tell her friend, would she lie?

"It's true. Ha ha. Erm, I thought you knew."

"Well, I did know. But, knowing your character, I thought you were just making things up. You do have a vivid imagination."

"Right." Wendy wasn't sure what else to say. She didn't want to lose a friend.

Avy noticed the glimpse of worry in Wendy's eyes.

"I actually think it's pretty wicked. I mean, bloody rocks of Mire, Wendy, you are a mail thief and a soon-to-be-witch. That's my kind of people."

Avy was a rebel and any other rebel would always be a part of her tribe. This part was true indeed. Wendy eased her shoulders a little bit, releasing some tension.

Avy continued,

"So, what will you do next? Have you worked out a plan?"

"No, not yet. But I have been thinking about a few things. Like, what's a hogsberry and where in Nott can I find a third moon?"

"Third moon?"

"Yeah."

"That's bizarre. Did you look in the astronomy book?"

"I did. We have one at work, but there is no mention of a third or second moon in the Guide To Stars."

"Maybe it's a puzzle? Or a magical relic? In my time, I traveled almost all of Nott and I know one thing for sure when it's witch business it's never simple."

"That's what I thought, too. I guess I'll have to go through some of the old mail, maybe it will have a mention or clue where to look next. Or have an address"

"You mean in some of the other mail that you've stolen."

"Yep." Wendy nodded and then a certain unease pushed her to add,"All of that mail is from Witch Society, you know, and none of the items were claimed by their owner. Ever. There were thirty-something 'return to sender' stamps and I am sure that they wouldn't want their expired jam back."

Avy smiled. "There is no need to explain yourself, W. I know you'd never do something out of mal intent. So, what will you do next?"

"I think I'll start packing and maybe make Juicy a ravenous bowtie, we are after all invited to a party"

"And to an exam.", added Avy.

"Yes, that too."

"Are you ready to meet real witches? They might make you into a stew."

"No, they won't. And this is not funny, it's serious business."

"How do you know?"

"Didn't you read the small print?"

Avy shook her head.

"Letter or blood."

"That's, erm, reassuring? They'll just kill you instead?"

"No, you silly goose. Haven't you read any witch stories? It's an ancient practice, they'll just draw a bit of my blood as payment for the invitation. But there's no need for such barbaric measures, as I have the letter right here with me." Wendy grabbed the envelope from the counter, waved it in front Avy's nose and placed it back into her pocket. Safe and sound, right where it belonged.

Door chimes sang a familiar melody, as a tourist in a hat left the cafe. Wendy yawned, it was also her time to leave the Muddy Brew. Before departing, she wanted to do something nice for her friend who never charged her a copper or a favour. Wendy jumped off the stool, "I'll get his dirty dishes, Avy".

"Thanks, dear."

Wendy did this sort of thing all the time. At first, Avy objected and almost had a fight with the stubborn girl, but Wendy insisted with a strength of a hornbug. Avy, proud Mire girl and barista eventually gave in to this sweet zero witch.

Wendy limped her way towards Maestro's table. She picked up a tray with an empty cup, empty saucer, and a few crumbs. Lock of hair obstructed her view, but she didn't want to out the tray down, so she turned her head until the hair was out of the way. That's when something small and shiny hit her eye. Right there, on the striped yellow chair, there was a golden round object staring right at her. Wendy sighed, tourists always tended to forget their things. Thankfully, tourist board installed "Lost items" booth just for that.

Balancing the tray with one hand, Wendy grabbed the object and placed it into her bag. Just one more thing to drop off before she heads home, to her fluffy, fluffy bed.

Wendy delivered the tray to Avy, picked up her snoozing dog, and left Muddy Brew. Limping away from the downtown and towards her cozy little home. As she walked through the misty streets, she grew more and more tired. A trip to Margaret Peeve's and the tourist box would have to wait. Wendy needed sleep and she needed it now.

Town's giant squid clock chimed eight-and-a-half times. It was eight thirty in the morning and not a minute too late. Perfect time for Brick Corners to wake up and for Wendy to rest.

△☽⊬

Authors' Notes

Thank you for taking the time to read my story, I know this one is a very long chapter but I hope you enjoyed it. Do you have a guess where will Wendy go next to find the witchy clues? What do you think is a third moon?

Click the ✮ icon if you liked the story and I can't wait to read your comments.