Why didn't you...

Five:

Hospitals were not Charlottes' favorite place to be. They smelled like death and the blandness of the whole building made her cringe. Her dad put his hand on her knee and gave a gentle squeeze.

"He's going to be okay," He told her. Charlotte nodded, she knew Jeremy was okay, just a broken shoulder, bruised ribs and a small concussion. Charlotte's step-mom walked into the waiting room with two steaming cups of coffee.

"Why didn't you drive?" She asked again.

"Because I wanted this to happen, Cory," Charlotte looked over at her and furrowed her brows. Cory's mouth hung open and her eyes went wide.

"Charlotte, that's enough." Bob said sternly.

"Well she's asked me this how many times? Every single time I give the same answer, 'I didn't want to argue and he wasn't budging.' Instead of risking the chance that he take off angry and drunk, I let him go and ran after him. He wasn't going very fast." Charlotte folded her arms and leaned back in the plastic chair. Bob rubbed his face and Cory stared at Charlotte. 

"Then you should've kept up with him," She said tartly.

"I'm sorry, but there's wolves in the damn woods. Did you know that? Yeah, I was stopped by a wolf so excuse me for not running around the wild animal and having it take me down and eat me." Charlotte grabbed her jacket and took off. Not even putting it on she stormed into the cold December air and lit up a cigarette. Feeling her phone vibrate she took it out and groaned.

"Hey ma." Charlotte didn't even try hiding her irritation. Bob had called her earlier when Charlotte was in the bathroom and told her to call back.

"Are you okay?" She asked in her worried motherly tone.

Charlotte bit her tongue and took another drag off her cigarette, "I'm fine mom."

"You don't sound fine." She retorted.

Since when did you care if I'm okay? "Really, I'm alright. I was running behind him."

"Why weren't you driving? You know that driving while intoxicated is a bad decision-"

"Mom. I know, alright? I'm getting enough grief from Cory. Jeremy was adamant about driving and he wasn't going that fast," Until he thought he could jump the snowbank... "He's beaten up, but he'll survive. They're setting his shoulder and wrapping up his ribs as we speak. He should be out soon."

"Good," She sighed heavily. "Maybe you should come back home, honey."

Charlotte almost dropped the phone. Victoria was the reason she was here, her own mother shoved her out of the house and made sure she would stay gone. After too many nights of fighting and even more of disappearing for days at a time, Charlotte finally gave in and made arrangements to move in with her brother, dad, and step-mother.

"Not in the middle of the year, mom. I've got," Charlotte paused and came up with an excuse, "I've got too many friends up here. It's my senior year and I'm having a good time." The words tasted like vinegar on her tongue. Victoria was silent and then took a shakey breath.

"I miss you, Charlie," tears echoed in her voice. Charlotte closed her eyes and finished her cigarette.

"I miss you too, ma. I've got to go, he's out now, so..." Charlotte headed back into the hospital. 

"Okay, call me later. Love you."

"Love you too. Bye." Charlotte hung up and stood in the waiting room. "If you haven't noticed, my car broke down on the side of the road last night. So I'm going to walk down to the car lot and look around."

"Be careful. Make wise decisions." Bob flashed a tender smile and Cory sat in her chair silently watching Charlotte.

Charlotte nodded and turned back around, she zipped up her jacket and headed back into the crisp air. The car lot was a couple blocks away and she was positive she'd find something.

Shoving her hands in her pockets, Charlotte's mind wandered. From the homless-looking guy stumbling out of the bar, to the broken streetlight, and back around to her mother's invitation of homecoming.

Victoria had promised to never be the type of mother that shoved her kids off when she got sick of them. Her own mother put her through boarding school and then made sure Victoria was out on her own after graduation. Victoria got pregnant when she was shy of nineteen, Bob didn't know about Charlotte until she was eight years old. Since then he's been the father figure she's always craved. Now, Victoria is the same as her mother. Enjoying her freedom, shoving her responsabilities off on someone else and not giving it a second thought. That is until she realizes how lonely she is.

Charlotte jumped when her phone vibrated against her hand and she pulled it out cautiously.

New Message!

Charlotte furrowed her brow and read the text.

Hey girl! I miss you! When are you coming back home to visit us?

Charlotte couldn't help but smile at her friends' random message. She quickly replied.

I miss you too, dear. I'm looking at cars atm, so possibly soon :D

Sending it, Charlotte wandered aimlessly around the lot, not really looking at the vehicles, but not ignoring them either. She never was one to have the best taste in cars. She's gone through three in the past two years she's had her license. Sighing, she rounded the corner where the used cars sat quietly and paid more attention. Her phone went off again.

Good! We need to party it up sooooo bad! Hanley's rents are gone for the next two weeks. Mine are gone in two weeks for a couple days. It's gonna be rad man.

Awesome. I'll have to let you know what goes down. Charlotte put her phone on silent and slid it back in her pocket. She headed towards a black Blazer and eyed it curiously.

"Find something interesting?" A man popped up from the other side of the Blazer and Charlotte jumped back. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare ya miss." The older man smiled. His teeth decaying.

"Uh, yeah, I guess." Charlotte cupped her hands over her eyes and looked inside the vehicle. Asking all the right questions, the old Blazer passed each one."How much is it?"

"For you..." The old man thought for a moment, his white beard quivered as he moved his lips, and his curly white hair puffed out from his beenie. "A thousand dollars." He said finally. Charlotte played her poor-girl card and winced.

"I don't know..." She looked the Blazer over again. "I'll offer seven hundred for it."

"That's a bit lower than what I'd like," The old man stared at the Blazer. "Nine hundred."

"Seven fifty is the highest I'll go," Charlotte started to step away from the Blazer.

"Okay, okay," The old man held up his hands. "Just because a pretty little thing like you wandered in here today and brightened me right up, I'll let you take it for seven-fifty."

Satisfied Charlotte went to the bank, withdrew her money and paid the man seven hundred and fifty dollars upfront. Signing the papers, she recieved the title, and drove her new prize home.