Not-So-Secret

The rest of the day passed by in a blur and Charlotte was lost. Different scenarios bounced around her head, the possible decisions she'd have to make scared her to death. After scrubbing off her decorated desk, she made her way to her repaired Malibu in the parking lot and found her brother leaning against it. He looked irritated in a relaxed sort-of-way.

"What took so long?" He prodded before she made it to the car.

"Graffiti." She mumbled and unlocked the doors. Sliding in she started it up and took off before her brother had his belt buckled. He looked at her skeptically and nodded towards her white knuckles.

"You okay?" He asked. She nodded curtly and pushed harder on the pedal. She didn't want to answer any more questions. She wanted to ask them. "Charlie, I don't know what's going on with you lately, but you can tell me what's going on. I'm not a judgmental person."

"No, but you will be once you hear my story." She replied quickly. He sighed and rested his head against the headrest.

"You can't do this alone, Charlie. It's too hard to do. You need to be able to talk to someone and let them in, just a little." Jeremy looked at her and she clenched her jaw.

"If I told you, you wouldn't understand. I've done this alone for the past eighteen years."

"That's not what I'm talking about." Jeremy rolled down his window and stole one of her cigarettes.

"And what are you talking about?" She asked curiously.

"You're a Huntress, Charlie. I'm not stupid. Bob talks to me about his Hunter days all the time. It's fascinating to learn about the different creatures in this world. He told me that you were a Huntress the minute that you left from your first visit. He knew from the birthmark on your temple. He was so excited, and when you said that you'd accept the duties he went ballistic. He ordered everything that you'll possibly need and then some." He took a cautious puff and let the smoke out the window.

Charlotte didn't know what to say. She thought this was a secret that was kept from anyone who didn't need to know. Glancing over at him she bit her lip and then concentrated on the road.

"I'm scared, Jer," She admitted unwillingly. Tears welled up and she tried to swallow down the lump in her throat. "The Moon Banquet is the end of my life, basically. I get matched with a stranger for the rest of my life, I gain responsibilities of a wolf pack with the emotions of humans. I have to go through all the stress of training and still have time to act normal..." Charlotte tried clearing her throat but tears rolled down her cheeks instead.

"Bob told you about that, huh?" Jeremy took another puff.

"No, the pack from down the street did. I sat with them at lunch and Josie was going goo-goo-eyed over it. How could she want that? Being under someones' thumb and paired with a stranger?" Charlotte shook her head.

"Charlie, you're not being matched to a stranger. It's a person you've met in your life, more than once. It could even be a member of your pack. They don't just throw you into the ring without some familiarity."

"How do you know so much about this?" She was a Huntress and she had no idea what she was getting into.

"I told you, Bob talks about his Hunter days all the time." Jeremy flicked the cigarette out the window and relaxed into the seat. "Your mom was his match, but after she found out she was pregnant she divorced him, resigned from the Hunters and disappeared. He didn't even know about you. He thought she became too stressed and lost control."

The information sunk into Charlotte's head slowly. Her mother was trying to protect her, for once in her life. Why didn't her mom do the same thing when her boyfriends started hitting Charlotte? Why wouldn't she resign then? "She's never done that again, that's for sure."

"Your mother was a wild one," Jeremy continued. "She would do her work when she felt like it. Generally it was when things were about to get too far gone. Then she'd swing in like Wonder Woman and demolish the Goblin or whatever she was sent to kill. Her pack refused to listen to her and instead joined with Bob and his pack."

"So she was a loner," Charlotte furrowed her brows and turned into their driveway.

"You could say that. She liked to keep the occasional Vampire or Fairy on the side for her own entertainment. Bob knew what she was doing, but he loved her too much to bring it up and risk her leaving."

"But she left in the end anyway. She left and gave me the shit end of everything." Anger started to rise inside Charlotte as she relived the things her mother allowed to happen to her.

"Yes, but if she hadn't, you wouldn't be here right now, would you?" Jeremy rested his hand on her shoulder and looked at her in the eye. "You're one-of-a-kind Charlie."

Charlotte thought thought about it, the anger ebbed and she became more comfortable her

fate. "I'm going to take a walk, I'll be home later." Charlotte got out of the car and started towards the garage. Instead of walking, she started up her brothers' four-wheeler and took off on one of the trails. She didn't care that the cold air bit at her face and numbed her legs. All she wanted was to feel free, just for a moment.