Deciding that he couldn't wait anymore, Patrick realized that it was now or never. Nothing was going to stop him. All he had to do was ask her out without letting his own doubts crash him.

He took a deep breath and turned to her. "I was wondering if...maybe y-you wanted to maybe if...you and I were to...I mean if maybe we could...I-I wanted to know if you..." Patrick took in another, sharper, deep breath to keep himself from cringing at his own inability to ask out the girl of his dreams and tell her how he feels. He had a plan, but didn't execute it in the right way at all. Grimacing at how he'd already messed up, Patrick sighed in defeat. "If you wanted to join me, Dipper, and Mabel on this mystery hunt? Tomorrow? Conspiracy stuff and all that?"

"Yeah, dude. I love doing all that junk with friends," Wendy said with a grin before looking at the TV and continued to make fun of it. "Yo Chadley, watch out!"

And with that, that small flame of hope died inside of Patrick. "Yeah, that's what we are," Patrick said, with a depressed sigh. Discreetly, he pulled out a piece of paper out of his hat and opened it. Written on it was a draft of how he was going to confess his hopeless crush on Wendy. "That's all we'll ever be," he muttered with gloomy hopelessness and crumpled it up. He then lied back on Wendy's bed, looking up at the ceiling with a depressed expression. "Friends."

"Dude, you're laying on my bra," Wendy said, to which Patrick screamed and fell off the bed. But it was all in good humor, and the two friends started laughing.

However, when it was over, it was now Wendy's turn to mentally kick herself as Patrick's face fell a little once more. Having heard what he'd said, she knew that he was hurting inside. She knew that he was trying to ask her out, but lost confidence in himself. She's seen this all the time with guys. It was strange to think that someone like Patrick, who was always so brave and upfront, would crash under the pressure of asking out a girl. But then again, she would be the same way if the roles were reversed. Especially after kissing him the way she did at the bus stop.

Honestly, she wanted him to ask her out. For the two of them to work up the courage to say how they feel about each other. But now, it looks like Wendy had just accidentally friend-zoned the one boy she was in love with.

The next day, the Pines kids found the tree that they found the Journal nearby. With a look of determination, Dipper stood next in front of the group that was going on this adventure and tapped a pen on his lantern. "Thank you all for coming," he said, as the tree stood tall and proud behind him. The hatch with the controls in it was still wide open.

Patrick stood alongside Mabel and Soos. "Hey, when there's a mystery, you can count on your sister...-Ey." Mabel vainly rhymed with a grin.

Patrick rolled his eyes, before Soos laughed and tried to rhyme too. "That's an amazing rhyme. When you want some, good... When you need a Soos, you... Oh oh, gosh, I don't know," he said.

"We're here to solve the number one mystery in Gravity Falls; who wrote this journal?!" Dipper announced, pulling out the book from his jacket. He opened the book to the front page. "Thirty years ago the author vanished without a trace." He turned the pages to the one that had the tree and turned on the portable blacklight. Shining on the pages to reveal the hidden winding staircase going around the tree and leading underground. "But according to this new clue, we may have found his secret hiding place. We find that author, we learn the answers to everything."

"So how do we get down there," Patrick asked, glancing up at the tree with a frown.

"Chop it down, dudes!" The young man gasped and turned around to see Wendy arriving on her bike, ringing the bell on the handlebars.