Chapter 20: All These Years

Start from the beginning

Maria moved to open it, but Carols voice stopped her from moving. 'Don't answer that.'

'It's just my neighbor', she said, looking at her a little weirdly.

'They can change into anyone', I joined in, hoping I could make her see the danger. 

Fury, who did know the seriousness of the threat, took out his gun and moved to the side of the door, staying hidden but ready to jump in if needed. 

I took to the other side of the door so it hid me when Carol opened it, also ready for any sign of danger. I formed a little fireball in my left hand and felt Maria stare at it. I had maybe left out a tiny detail in my explanation about me.

Carol opened it quickly, blocking the whole entrance with her body, letting whoever was on the porch know he wasn't welcome. I couldn't see her face from where I was hiding, but it wasn't hard to guess what expression it held.

'Hi there', a low manly voice came from outside. It sounded friendly enough, but you could never be sure with Skrulls.

'What do you want?', Carol's demanding voice asked him immediately, not even bothering with a hello. Maria cringed at her tone. She had a lot to explain if this really was her neighbor.

'Ummm...' The man was totally taken aback by the reaction he got and was temporarily lost for words.

Something in the corner of my eye moved and I shook my head lightly at Maria who walked to her friend, probably to save the conversation. She ignored me and came to stand behind Carol. 'Hey Tom. This is my friend Carol.'

He came back to life when he saw his neighbor and a friendly face. 'Ah, pleased to meet you.' 

I couldn't see anything, but after a little pause, I heard a little electric shock and it wasn't hard to guess where that came from. Or better, who it came from. 

'Yow! Static electricity out here's no joke.' Yup, she had shocked him and judging by his voice, it hurt a little. A smile found its way on my face. She was really something.

But nothing seemed to scare the man off. Not even my girlfriend who I could only imagine looked very frightening at the moment. 'I noticed that peculiar bird you got parked by the road, and I was just wondering if you'd mind if I bring the boys over to get a closer looksie?'

He probably meant the plane we had flown to get here. Carol had parked it in a meadow off the side of the road. It wasn't like we could store it in a hanger around here somewhere. I honestly don't even want to know how she landed that thing on these country roads. Luckily, I was asleep for that part.

'A closer looksie? To see the bird parked out by the road. You're really working overtime to sell this one, aren't you Talos?' 

I could feel Maria's embarrassment through the door and she had finally had enough of this. To be honest, I didn't think this man was Talos either. My gut was telling me he wasn't.

Maria closed the door slowly, trying to end this torture by just slamming the door in his face. She had guts, I'll give her that. 'I'm sorry. Tom, this isn't really a good time. I'll come by tomorrow? Okay?' When it fell into the lock, Maria turned to her friend immediately with a 'really?' look. 

But I didn't have time to see it, because another presence in the room had grabbed my attention and it wasn't Monica. Where did that child go anyway? Shouldn't she be back by now?

The fireball I had in my hand was gone, but it didn't take long to form a new one and before anyone else had even noticed the Skrull standing at the other side of the dining table, I had already thrown it at his head. He dived to dodge it, but it still clipped his shoulder, leaving a little burn mark that wasn't big enough for my liking.