56. secrets revealed

Start from the beginning

"Don't get excited, Oliver," Harper said gloomily. "We haven't gotten them any more. They were confiscated." And then she explained all about how the Firebolts were now being checked for jinxes.

"Jinxed. How could it be jinxed?"

"Sirius Black," Harry replied wearily. "He's supposed to be after me. So McGonagall reckons he might have sent it."

Waving aside the information that a famous murderer was after his Seeker, Oliver said, "But Black couldn't have bought a Firebolt! He's on the run! The whole country's on the lookout for him! How could he just walk into Quality Quidditch Supplies and buy two broomsticks?"

"I know," Harper said, "but McGonagall still want to strip it down —"

Oliver went pale.

"I'll go and talk to her, Harry, Harp," he promised. "I'll make her see reason . . . two Firebolts . . . two real Firebolts, on our team . . . she wants Gryffindor to win as much as we do . . . I'll make her see sense . . . two Firebolts . . ."

• ✧ •

LESSONS STARTED AGAIN NEXT DAY. The last thing anyone felt like doing was spending two hours in the grounds on a raw January morning, but Hagrid had provided a bonfire full of salamanders for their enjoyment, and they spent an unusually good lesson collecting dry wood and leaves to keep the fire blazing, while the flame-loving lizards scampered up and down the crumbling, white-hot logs.

The first Divination lesson of the new term was much less fun; Professor Trelawney was now teaching them palmistry, and she lost no time in informing Harry that he had the shortest life-lines she had ever seen.

It was Defence Against the Dark Arts that Harper was keen to get to; it had always been her favorite subject.

"Still looks ill, doesn't he?" Ron said, as they walked down the corridor, heading to dinner. "What d'you reckon's the matter with him?"

"Harper?" a voice said and when the redhead turned around, she saw Hermione sitting down at the feet of a suit of armor, repacking her bag, which was so full of books it wouldn't close. "Could I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure," Harper replied before turning back to the boys. "You go ahead, save us a seat."

Harry nodded and they walked away as she kneeled down and took a couple of Hermione's books. "I'll put these in my bag," Harper said, taking two heavy books.

"I know Lupin's a werewolf," Hermione quietly said.

Harper wasn't surprised. Hermione was clever—of course she would have found out sooner or later. "I suppose it was only a matter of time before you found out."

"I won't tell anyone, Harp," Hermione added, glancing sideways at her friend before filling her bag again.

"Thanks," Harper replied. "Because it's hard for him to find a job and he really likes teaching. Plus I get to see him every day, which is a bonus."

"You love him don't you?" Hermione asked, tilting her head.

"Of course I do," Harper replied, looking at her friend. "He's the one who raised me alongside Dorcas and although I know they're not my parents, I love them like they are." It wasn't until then that Harper saw some sort of hourglass hanging onto a cord around Hermione's neck.