Chapter 10 - The Gem Monster

"I'm sorry I vored your friends.." Spinel murmured. "I don't know what came over me."

"It's okay, Spinel," Steven assured her. "Where are the gems? Are they okay?"

"Well... no," Spinel murmured honestly. "They're probably in extreme pain and agony. But they can be fine! I can fix everything! I vored them and then self-poofed, I can self-poof by the way, to bring them here. But don't worry, I can fix it!"

"Okay, okay, that's good," Steven sighed, relieved. He put his hand on Spinel's shoulder. "Peridot!" he screamed. Spinel looked confused.

Peridot then appeared in the doorway. "It looks like everything's going good!" Peridot observed.

"She was going to be backup to attack you if things went bad," Steven explained. "But everything's fine now, Spinel. I would never ever lie to you and make you think I was trying to pull one over on you or something. I would be a bad person just like Mom if I did that."

"But..." Spinel murmured, raising an eyebrow in confusion. "I thought I already got you..." she said pointing at Peridot.

"Huh?" Peridot uttered in confusion.

Spinel hopped over to a curtain stained the same color as the walls; Steven hadn't noticed it before until Spinel grabbed it. She whisked it open and... nothing was behind it.

"WHAT!?" Spinel screeched. She whipped around with a furious look at Steven and Peridot. "I knew I had captured you already!" Spinel hissed. "You stole my monster! YOU TRICKED ME! THIS IS ALL A TRAP!"

"Spinel, no!" Steven cried. Spinel's fist grew in size and shot forward, slamming into Steven and sending him barreling into Peridot. The two crashed onto the ground with a thud.

"You really tried to pull one on me, Steven Universe!?" Spinel screamed in fury. "I should've known not to trust you! You already rescued my monster and you have the audacity to listen to my story and betray me! You're a fraud!"

"Spinel, I don't even know what you're talking about!" Steven pleaded. She didn't believe him.

"Well, at least I came prepared!" Spinel exclaimed. She formed her hand into a foghorn and blew into it. The whole room shook and one of the walls split open. Steven turned to the splitting wall and let out a shriek of horror.

A giant, messy blob of gems whose forms seemed to be molded together was letting out quiet moans of agony and trying to move its missing limbs around. Gemstones littered its body. What had Spinel done to these gems?

"Spinel!" Steven cried. "What is that!?"

"Hehehehe..." Spinel laughed. "Well, it's my master plan! You already took my tiny little monster made of your friends which I was going to use to torture you, but it looks like you didn't find the real one."

"What is that thing!?" Peridot screeched shrilly.

"Well, one gem can only stretch -" Spinel grew her form and then returned to normal size "- so much! If I wanna VORE Pink's terrible planet, I'm gonna need a much bigger belly, aren't I?"

Spinel formed her legs into a spring and leaped into the air. She landed on top of the monstrous blob of gem bodies. She did a quick dance and then began glowing. Steven and Peridot watched in horror as Spinel fused with the massive blob. Her legs sprouted out from its bottom and her arms and head came out the top.

"Ohhhh," Spinel belched in pleasure. She patted her new enormous belly. "God I'm gonna fit so much in my new big belly. Time to vore this planet!" With thunderous stomping, she broke through the cave the room had been in and began trudging out into the world, her massive belly jiggling as she walked. The quiet moans of pain from the gems it was made out of could be heard.

"Steven, what are we gonna do?" Peridot cried in alarm. Steven couldn't respond as he watched Spinel stumble away. He was shaking. Spinel's enormous belly rumbled, sending a thunderous sound across the land.

"Steven, look!" Peridot cried. Steven realized there was joy in her voice. He spun around and saw... the gems!

Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl, Lapis, and Bismuth all stood on top of the destroyed cave. They hopped down to where Peridot and Steven stood. Peridot immediately raced forward and leaped into Lapis's arms as they both laughed and cried that they were reunited.

"Guys!" Steven nearly began sobbing in joy. "You're okay! What happened?"

"It was the most painful experience of my life!" Pearl wailed. She wrapped her arms around Steven and held him close, beginning to cry.

"Spinel vored us and digested our gems into a monstrous belly..." Garnet muttered grimly. "Looks like she's done the same to hundreds of others."

"We have to stop that thing!" Bismuth declared, her fists forming into hammers.

"How'd you escape?" Steven asked.

"Spinel mistook a human for Peridot," Garnet explained. "They were wearing a shirt with a Peridot gemstone on it. The human couldn't be formed into the belly and Spinel left, thinking they were. They pulled us apart by ripping our gems off of the monster."

Steven clenched his fists. "We have to stop... that thing. That isn't Spinel anymore." 

The gems around him nodded in agreement. "Let's do this!" Amethyst exclaimed.