4 - Love Solves All

Akaashi woke up in an unfamiliar bed with a pounding headache.

There was a solid bump on the back of his head so he figured that was probably the reason for the pain. Throat parched, he scanned the room for anything he could drink. His eyes landed on a glass of water that sat on a nightstand beside him.

Finishing the water in one big gulp, he massaged his temple. He felt gross and feverish; his body was covered in sweat.

Slowly sitting up, he looked around the room. The walls had a few volleyball posters but besides that, they were mainly blank. A shelf near a desk held multiple trophies and medals. He pulled several blankets off of him before walking over to the desk.

There was a picture of a young boy with two adults. He figured that they were the boy's parents. Taking a closer look, he noticed that the kid's eyes were the shade of gold.

He paused. The eyes felt familiar to Akaashi. It was like a strange sense of deja vu. Without knowing why, he smiled at the boy in the picture. Something about it reminded him of his childhood.

There was another picture by it. In the next one, there was the boy again with another kid. Akaashi knew the other face; it was Kuroo. The young boy looked almost exactly like the present day troublemaker.

Speaking of the devil, where was he? The last thing Akaashi could remember was Kuroo offering him a can of beer. He obviously denied him; Akaashi would never drink. The smell was enough to keep Akaashi away, but he always believed that alcohol was poison to the human brain.

Or maybe he did drink. His memories were foggy, and he could hardly put together a single thought. It might explain why he felt feverish. Akaashi thought it was strange that he broke his own promise. He saw the effects it had on his dad and how his parents' marriage failed because of it. For what reason would make Akaashi pick up a can of that poison?

As he thought it over, he heard footsteps approach the room. Akaashi panicked. He didn't even know where he was! What if he got kidnapped? Would he ever see his mom again? Searching the room, he quickly grabbed the empty glass cup and prepared to hurl it as the door opened.

Bokuto walked in, holding a tray of food. Akaashi dropped the glass in shock, and it shattered on the floor. Suddenly, memories of the party flooded his brain. He replayed the memories in his head: him and Bokuto officially meeting, him arriving at at the party, him holding on to Bokuto's arm for dear life, Kuroo's offer, and the most horrifying memory: him puking on Bokuto.

The last memory made Akaashi audibly gasp. Before he could start begging on his knees for forgiveness, Bokuto quickly set the tray down on the desk. He rushed over to Akaashi and scooped him up, bridal style.

"Akaashi, are you okay?" Worried etched on Bokuto's face. His eyebrows were pressed together as he looked Akaashi up and down. "Did the glass cut you anywhere?"

Akaashi swallowed. Not only did Bokuto literally sweep him off his feet, their faces were inches away. Luckily his fever would give him an excuse for his tomato face.

"I-I'm sorry, Bokuto-san," he mumbled. It was hard to look the male in the eye after Akaashi publicly embarrassed himself.

"What for, 'Kaashi?" Bokuto asked, puzzled. "Oh. Are you talking about last night?" He chuckled.

Akaashi stared down at the broken glass on the floor. At least Bokuto didn't sound mad at him. "Y-yes. I shouldn't have came to the party." He said quietly. "And I'm sorry about the glass."

"It's not a big deal, 'Kashi!" said Bokuto. "I'm just glad you're alright. It really scared me when you fell."

"I can't believe I slipped on my vomit." Akaashi sighed, feeling disgusted again. He was glad that only Bokuto and Kuroo saw what happened. But he was also embarrassed that Bokuto saw it.

"It happens to the best of us." Bokuto said, letting out a laugh.

Akaashi never thought he could love a laugh so much. It filled the room and seemed to brighten his own mood.

Bokuto set him back on the ground and then sat on the bed. He motioned for Akaashi to do the same.

Together they sat in silence. Akaashi enjoyed Bokuto's presence. It was reassuring and made him feel safe. He sneakily glanced over at the male and noticed dark circles under Bokuto's eyes.

"Bokuto-san, did you sleep any?" He asked, suddenly worried.

"Hm? No, someone was sleeping in my bed." Bokuto answered, rubbing his eyes.

"What? Who was in your-" Akaashi cut himself off. He looked around the room with its volleyball posters and trophies. It all started to connect in his head. He quickly opened his to apologize, but Bokuto interrupted before he could.

"Don't worry about it, 'Kashi," said the horned owl, cheerfully. "It's really not a big deal."

He shook his head. "But it is a big deal. I'm really sorry, Bokuto-san. I'll make it up to you, I swear."

Bokuto gave him a small smile. "How do you plan on doing that?"

Akaashi turned away for a moment to think.

"I can help you study." He offered. During the banquet, he remembered Konoha saying something about how Bokuto struggled in some of his classes.

Bokuto grinned, nodding. "That'd actually be great. Thanks, Kashi!"

He blushed slightly. "Okay. What do you need the most help on?"

Bokuto didn't answer, but instead let out a soft snore. Akaashi turned, amazed at how fast the male fell asleep.

He really must of been tired, he thought.

Pushing Bokuto onto his back, he set down a pillow and then covered the male with a blanket.

Then Akaashi looked at the tray of food and the glass on the floor. As quietly as he could, he swept up the glass shards and discarded them. He grabbed a bun off the tray, shoving the bread into his mouth, and then found a small sheet of paper and pen. Writing a small note, he signed his name and left it by the nightstand for Bokuto to see.

Before leaving, he glanced back at the sleeping male one last time and smiled to himself.

He then left the room and tried his best to find his way out of Bokuto's house. After a few tries, he found the front door.

Quietly shutting it behind him, he inhaled a breath of the morning air and instantly felt refreshed. His fever seemed to have gone down as well.

Walking back to his house, he hummed a tune. The sun was shining and a slight breeze ruffled his hair. As he walked, he found himself in a joyful mood.

As he passed by strangers, he'd give them a small smile. His heart seemed to be fluttering with every step, and every time he thought of Bokuto, (which is pretty often), his smile would grow a little wider.

It's crazy what love can do to someone.