Chapter 33: Halloween

Start from the beginning

"Morning, Molls!" Conner greeted as he set a jack-o-lantern of a cat on the kitchen table.

"Oh, that's cute!" Molly commented, taking a break from her baking.

"Why don't you go ahead and light it?" Conner suggested, a twinkle in his eye.

Molly chuckled. "It's not even noon yet."

"Just go ahead."

Without any further protest, Molly took the top of the pumpkin off, wondering what on earth Conner had planned. When she looked inside, she saw a tiny orange kitten curled up asleep. She picked up the little ball of fluff. "Conner, how did you – I don't – It looks just like the one I had growing up."

Conner grinned at her. "Happy birthday," he said before hastily adding, "But if you don't want it, I totally understand. Big responsibility and all that."

"No, Conner, I love it," Molly beamed. "Thank you."

Conner brought in the kitten food, bowls, and bed while Molly made them both some tea.

"How was your birthday?" Conner asked.

Molly shrugged. "Needless to say, it wasn't the best I've had, but the boys did a lot. They made me breakfast in bed, Charlie took me to lunch, George took me shopping, and they all threw me a little surprise party. As much as I appreciate all they did, I'm glad it's over."

"I'm sorry to hear that, but you do have some good kids."

"How was your week?" Molly asked.

"Not bad. A lot better now, though." Conner smiled at her. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have..." he added

"It's fine," Molly waved it off, failing to hide a small smile of her own..

Ron drowsily wandered in with one of the worst bedheads Molly had ever seen. Auror training had become more strenuous recently, so Ron used as much time as he could to rest.

"Hey, Conner," Ron yawned in greeting.

"Ron," Conner reciprocated.

"Are you hungry, dear?" Molly asked, getting up to make him something before he even answered.

"Starved," Ron mumbled.

Ron picked up the kitten and petted it for a few minutes before he woke up a bit more. He cocked his head at the orange tabby cat. "When did we get a cat?" he asked stupidly.

"He's a birthday present from Conner," Molly answered.

"Oh," Ron said before starting up idle conversation with Conner. He didn't have a problem with the Irishman like some of his siblings did. He was happy to see his mum was still seeing him. In Ron's opinion, his mum was better off with Conner. She seemed happy around Conner, and the man did not cause as much drama like his father did nowadays.

As the hours passed, other Weasley sons arrived - in Bill's and Percy's cases, with their wives. Seeing as none of them had seen Conner since the wedding, Molly got a pretty good idea of where each stood: Ron was obvious; Charlie was much like Ron and strongly approved of Conner; George barely said a word to him, and Molly felt like he was only there out of obligation; Percy exchanged pleasantries, but didn't have anything else to do with him; Bill was the only one to vocalize his feelings to his mum.

Bill approached Molly when she was alone in the kitchen, taking out the last batch of Pumpkin Pasties. Everyone else had gone outside to carve pumpkins.

"Hey, Mum. Do you need any help?" Bill offered.

"I'm just finishing up. Thank you, though," Molly said. "Shouldn't you be out with the others?"