Taking The Blade For You

Start from the beginning

"What the hell else am I suppose to do?"

He joined the military for his wife, to make something of himself and protect his country. He joined to have a purpose. It seemed that's what _____ did too. She did it for herself rather than for anyone else however.

"It's a nice night." _____ looked up at the stars, watching as the flying embers reached to the sky. It was calm night. Most of their squadron had already gone to bed. However _____ found herself not being able to sleep. Jack noticed that she was out of her tent and decided to join her.

Jack couldn't keep arguing with himself anymore. He was quite fond of _____. It was dangerous of him to say it, but he had feelings for her. He was a married man but damn it, withing the amount of time they shared he fell for her.

And it pained him.

"Yeah.. beautiful.." He stated. _____ chuckled and looked at Jack, noticing that he was staring at her.

Was he calling the night sky beautiful or.. no. No. He shouldn't be looking at her like that. She had seen love struck before and he was looking at her in that way. He's married. He shouldn't..

_____ tugged her hair behind her ear and nervous chuckled to herself while looking at the fire. Jack realize that he had been staring and broke his gaze.

"So uh.. you might be starting a family soon. That's always exciting.."

"_____.." Jack shut his eyes, pressing his lips in a thin line. He knew he shouldn't say it but if he didn't it'd drive him crazy. "_____ I need to tell you something.."

"Jack, don't.." _____ sighed. If she heard him say it, she wouldn't be able to hold back her feelings as well.

"_____, I think I'm falling for you."

"No. Jack stop." _____ stood up and began walking away from the fire. Jack was hot on her tail, grabbing her arm before she could retreat to her tent. "Jack, please. Don't say that."

"I need to. Otherwise I'll go insane. Even if you don't feel the same, I just have to say it." He released her arm, his fingers gently caressing her skin. "_____.. I'm falling in love with you."

"Stop. You can't do this. You're married. You have a wife.. You can't say those things and expect me to just.." _____ groaned in frustration, restlessly pacing back and forth.

"Expect you to what?" Jack asked, watching her argue with herself.

"Expect me to go on! Knowing that you feel the same way and I can't.. do anything about it.. After this you get to go home and start having kids with your wife.." _____ looked at him. She was visibly irritated by his confession. "And I'll go home to nothing.. knowing that you feel the same way I do.."

"_____ I'm... I'm sorry.. I just.. ugh, I had to tell you.. I was hoping you didn't feel the same way-"

"Well I do. Now.. now we're suppose to go on like this conversation never happened. How am I su-"

"Shh."

Jack raised a hand to cut her off. _____ was taken back. Was he serious?

"Jack, are you kidding me? You're just-"

"Shut it." He waved her to be silent again, his attention looking out beyond their camp sight. _____ notice how focused her looked.