Chapter 29: DaKarie

Start from the beginning

He broke from her kiss, glaring at Max's way, throwing in a smirk just to piss the man off. The bastar-

"J? What are you-.."

Max glared at Karie, concern clearly on the guy who stood frozen across the hall, like a deer caught in headlights.

"Was fixing the projector.." He gestured to one of the classrooms but seemed lost.

The kid was good about handling his emotions considering his..softness. But it was all too clear to Karie his mistake.

"Um, you know this kid?" Izzy glanced between them, brow arched. She looked J over bitchy enough to have him fumbling his words and DaKarie fuming.

"No, I'm no one, really. Sorry." He tried. He swallowed hard, faltering for just a second before shuffling down the hall.

"J, come on." DaKarie shot forward, gripping at the boy's arm, wanting to explain.

He was shoved back against the lockers, allowing JJ to slip from his fingers.

He meant for Max to see, he meant for him to get a taste of whatever the fuck he was doing, not for JJ to catch him.

"The fuck is wrong with you?"

"What's wrong with me? Bruh, you for real?" Max grimaced, glancing at the kids not so subtly watching.

The man grabbed at his wrist suddenly, ignoring Izzy as he pulled them to a nearby bathroom.

"Izzabelle? Really? Fucking Isabelle?" Max seethed, pacing the bathroom. Karie almost laughed at the hypocrisy.

"That Emily bitch? Really, Max?"

He stared, arms folded against his chest. He watched as it clicked together on the his face.

"I was gonna tell you, man."

"Yeah? Tell me what? You been fucking her this whole time?"

"DaKa-

"Nah, bro tell me. Is she the side piece or are we?"

"I- Im not fucking her! Alright? I just..I needed the cover." His voice lowered in shame. He sighed heavily.

"Look, it isn't about that righ-..what the fuck is wrong with you?! Doing it is one thing but out in public? For them to see? Are you fucking slow?"

"On god bro, you are such a fucking fake. You were just parading that skank through the fucking hallwa-

"You don't talk about her like that!" Max shouted, shoving him. DaKarie shoved back.

"Don't like me talking down your lil girlfriend, huh? Tell me, did J take it any better when he saw y'all being all cozy? Did Kyle?"

"Fuck you."

"Nah, I bet they were just fine with it huh? Max can do no wrong can he? But when Karie does it he's just the same old heartless motherfucker. Fuck you, bro!"

"Agh!" Max shouted, grabbing at his shirt. DaKarie grimaced, bracing for the hit. Waiting for it, wanting it.

The dude was so angry his fist was shaking but he was still refusing to bring it down on him.

"Come on, fucking pussy!" DaKarie kept shoving, egging for him to give. For him to lose it, be a fucking person. Lose his shit.

"You think your better huh? You think your better then me cause I fuck up, cause I don't know when to stop?" Max's grip loosened slightly. He fumed at that, shoving harder.

"Your so fucking perfect huh? Ay, I ain't stopping you man, just do it! I know you want to!"

"Your a fucking pain." Max grumbled. His fist released the t-shirt, dropping by his side.

"And your fucking pathetic." DaKarie retorted before socking Max, knuckles cracking against his cheek.

They stood there for a moment, staring at one another. Max held his jaw but said nothing. Karie rolled his shoulders, head high.

He knew what he was. He wasn't perfect, he never claimed to be. He wasn't bad or good or whatever. He didn't fucking pretend. And he sure as hell didn't need to be fixed. He couldn't be.

"They knew, you know," Max called after him as he tried to leave. "I told em. They didn't like it but they..they got it."

Max met his eyes, trying to connect with him or something. Karies frown deepened.

"You didn't pick up the fucking phone."

"Family reunion, man." Karie seethed. "Moms back for good."

His fist clenched hard, barely resisting the urge to let his anger out once more.

.. "Shit. DaKarie, are y-"

He grabbed Max again, shoving him down to the floor. His fist was raised in the air fucking ready to beat him.

So damn perfect and chivalrous and shit. Fuck him.

Max layed there, glaring yet not looking to defend himself. That only pissed Karie off more.

Always the passevist, huh?

"You ain't worth the bruises." He shrugged, spitting at the man's feet. He backed up then, pushing his way out the restroom door.

And I'm not worth the pain.