51 || The First Task

Start from the beginning

Katie clapped a hand over her mouth.

At least ten wizards walked into the enclosure, each clutching a thick chain. On the ends of the chain was an enormous dragon — a silvery-blue dragon with pointed horns, snapping and snarling at the wizards on the ground.

"Dragons?" Katie cried in disbelief.

Hermione was biting her nails nervously and Chris was staring at the beast with his mouth agape.

Ludo Bagman had just opened his mouth to speak when a canon sounded, rattling the stands. Everyone yelled excitedly as Cedric Diggory emerged in the enclosure. He was clutching his wand and looked very pasty.

Cedric barely had too feet inside the enclosure when the dragon reared, shooting a burst of flames at the Hufflepuff. Katie covered her eyes in fear put peeked through her fingers.

"Oooh, narrow miss there, very narrow..." Bagman was commentating. "Clever move!"

Cedric waved his wand at a rock on the ground and is transformed into a dog. The stadium gasped in horror — how could he be so cruel? He wanted the dragon to eat the labrador rather than himself.

Diggory's plan seemed to work, though. The dragon became distracted by the joyous dog that was bouncing around, barking loudly, and wagging its tail. While the dragon had it's attention on the labrador, Cedric sprung forward, towards the dragon's legs. Katie leaned forward and removed her hands from her eyes to get a better look at what was happening.

Cedric sprung away from the dragon, clutching a shimmering golden egg in his hand, and Katie then understood what the task was. Each of the champions would face a dragon and try to steal a golden egg from it.

Just as Cedric got away from the dragon, it opened its mouth and breathed fire at him, burning the side of his face. Half of the stands were applauding loudly, while the other half were screaming in terror as Cedric got burned.

A flood of wizards rushed into the enclosure. Two of them dragged Cedric aside while the others heaved the dragon from the enclosure. The silver-blue dragon was quickly replaced with a smooth-scaled green one.

"One down, three to go!" Bagman yelled.

Ten seconds later, another canon sounded, and Fleur Delacour appeared within the enclosure. She looked even paler than Cedric had but she still held her head high. Everyone watched eagerly as Fleur flourished her wand, placing a charm on the dragon. The beast got all sleepy and Fleur sprung on her chance.

"Careful now..." Ludo Bagman was saying.

Just as Fleur's hands clasped around her golden egg, the dragon snored and shot out a jet of fire. Fleur's skirt caught fire. Many people screamed — though none as loud as the Beauxbatons students. Fleur hastily put the fire out with some water from her wand.

"Good Lord, I thought she'd had it then!" Bagman exclaimed.

As before, the greenish dragon was taken from the enclosure, and in its place, a new dragon was placed. This dragon was red with an odd fringe of gold spikes around its face.

"And here comes Mr Krum!" Bagman cried as the canon boomed yet again.

Krum wasted not a single second of precious time. Thrusting his wand forward, he shot a spell straight into the dragon's eyes. The spectators shrieked as the dragon started trampling around in agony.

Katie watched, frozen stiff in perilous shock, as the dragon shot a burst of flames at Krum, burning the side of his face and making the crowd gasp loudly. It swung its strong tail, narrowly missing Krum and striking a rock instead. The rock chipped under the force of the blow and Katie winced.