The Lucky Compass 2.2

Começar do início

I took a shower and now I was trying to detangle my curly hair. I don't know why but even if put on a shit ton of conditioner and detangling gel, my hair still stays tangled. I huffed out of annoyance as my brush got stuck in my hair, again, for the 30th time today. I don't know how many times I have cried because my hair brush wouldn't go through my hair and not to mention it hurt like a bitch.

Someone knocked on my door, which caused me to drop my brush on the floor. "What!" I yelled looking at the person who was at the door. Nic peeked his head through the door, looking scared of me.

"The Pogues are here." He says and quickly leaves. I look at the clock seeing I spent more than an hour trying to detangle my hair with no avail. I quickly packed my back and ran out of the house into the bus. "Hi." I greeted them while sitting in the back. Everyone said hello to me except for John B. I looked at him while he was driving, confused as to why he didn't even notice me.

"I mean, it's obvious, right?" John B started. "A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to me, right?" He said looking at Kie in the passenger seat. "Yeah. It's possible." She said sounding not so sure.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help," Pope glanced at me "- you know, deal with you sad feels." He finished looking back at John B. What the fuck? My father is missing also, but they don't shit on me, yet they give John B crap. Great friends, I'll tell you that.
I looked at Pope angered by his answer.

"Bro , you know how I process my sad feels. Dank mugs and the stockies of ickies, that's how I do it." JJ looked down at the floor.

"I'm not concocting, okay? My dad's trying to give me a message." John B looked back at me.

"If it helps you believe, John B." Kie said. Why does everyone believe that John B's father is dead, why does everyone believe that my father is dead? Have they found their bodies? I don't think so!

"Look, I-I don't need a therapy session, okay? Look, I'm not tripping out." John B sadly answered.

"It's okay to trip, bro , but-" JJ started. "Look, my-our dad's are missing, okay? Missing." John B said pointing to me as he said 'our'. Maybe that Compass will help us find our dad's. They did go missing together after all.

"You don't know what it's like to have the person closest to you vanish and then have no idea what happened. Just wake up every morning wondering." I said quietly from the back, tears forming in my eyes.

"It's been almost a year." Kie looked at John B and I.

I looked down, tears now freely falling from my eyes. JJ looked at me, "Hey, they could have been kidnapped. That's definitely a possibility." he said trying to make me feel better. I looked at him with teary eyes and got up to hug him. I cried in his shoulder, making his t-shirt wet, as Pope said something about the Soviet sub and the KGB.

"Look what do you think the message is?" Kie said while JJ rubbed my back, my tears still falling.

"Redfield." "Redfield lighthouse." John B said while we drove by the sign indicating we were not at the lighthouse.
I got of off JJ as we stopped driving, wiping my eyes and sniffling. We got out of the bus.

John B walked up to JJ, Pope and I. "Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" He pointed at us.

"Wait... Why me?" JJ asked beside me pointing to himself. "Because you're not coming." Pope said to him. "Why?" JJ questioned again.

"There are independent and dependent variables. You're independent. We don't know what you'll do." Pope ranted which angered JJ.

"Shut up!" I said stepping in between the two arguing boys. JJ listened to me and stopped yelling.

"Listen to me for a second." "Pope and Har, you two stand look out with JJ. Okay?" John B questioned.

"If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house." John explained the last part. "Great." Kie said as John B and her walked towards the lighthouse.

JJ looked at John B with disbelief, playing with a rock.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum." Pope walked over to me.

"All right, would you just shut up already?" JJ said juggling the rock on his feet. I went to the bus and sat down my feet dangling out the side of the bus. I grabbed my ear buds and played some music while looking at the two boys arguing.

I suddenly heard the police siren. I took out my earbuds seeing JJ and Pope running towards the bus. I quickly got to the drivers seat, turning the bus on.

"Come on!" I yelled as I saw JJ and Pope running. They got in and closed the doors.

"We're not gonna wait for them?" Pope asked me as I drove away from the lighthouse. "If we wanna get caught by the police and get a felony, then sure, you can go back and wait for them. But I've got enough shit with the police, I don't need more of it. They already think I'm insane for thinking that my father is alive. " I said to Pope looking at the road and tightly gripping the wheel.

" Hell, all of you think that I'm insane. You think that about John B too. I see the way you look at him when he mentions that his father is alive. "I burst, yelling at them.

"Why do you think it's so crazy to think that our dad's are alive?" I ask them, tears forming in my eyes once again today.

"Because, Harlow it's obvious that your dad is dead. I mean it's been almost a fucking year and both of them haven't came back yet. Don't you think if they could and if they found anything, that they would come back? I think you need to get out of your little perfect world and grow up, realise some things. I mean your brother already started believing that he's not coming back but he didn't want to tell you because he couldn't hurt your feelings, Harlow. "JJ yelled at me. I looked at him surprised with tears quickly forming in my eyes. How could he be so heartless? Why? I slammed my foot on the break, stopping in the middle of a street.

" Get out. " I whispered looking at his feet. He looked at me with sorry and regret in his eyes.
" BOTH OF YOU! GET OUT! " I startled them, screaming.

"NOW!" I yelled trembling with tears forming in my eyes. "Look, Har. I'm sorry. I didn't me-" JJ tried to apologise but I looked up at him now sobbing.

"Please, get out." I say, closing my eyes. I saw that JJ didn't want to leave me but Pope pulled him out of the bus and down the street.

I turned around facing the wheel and looking out the windshield. I broke down, screaming and slamming my hands at the wheel while putting my head on it. Maybe he was right. Maybe my dad was dead. I mean he would've come home if he found anything, right? Why did life have to be this cruel?

After I calmed down a bit, I drove the bus back at John B's House and walked back home.
When I walked into the house I heard Nic coming from the living room to see who it was.

"Oh, he-" He tried to talk to me but I walked straight past him and into my room, slamming the door into his face and locking it.
I threw myself onto the bed and let sleep engulf me, while my mind kept going back to the thing JJ said about my father.