Chapter Fourteen

~Amelies POV~

"Amelie, just let me come with you-"

"No Bucky." I frowned at him as he chased me down the last steps into the entrance hall of the Tower. "River and David are at home, alone with this teenager who is asking for me, not you."

"But what if," he tore at his hair, which was still plaited back for his Belle fancy dress, "What if it's them?"

He stressed the last word, but I forced myself to breathe through that anxious thought. "It won't be. They collapsed after I killed their leader remember?"

"Amelie-"

"We have a daughter Bucky. Go back upstairs, look after her and Owen. Tom and Jules are staying for dinner, so just enjoy a cartoon and chocolate with them. I'll ring you if I need help, okay?"

He looked frustrated, and crossed his arms over the yellow dress. "Fine." He grumpily pulled me into a hug and kissed the top of my head. "I love you."

"I love you too," I whispered, "have fun."

I walked through the halls to the underground car park, and borrowed a spare car. I left Bucky ours so he had a way to bring D'Arcy and Owen home later.

I drove fairly quickly, and as I pulled into our street I became aware I was dressed in a fluffy onesie of Sully from Monsters Inc. I climbed out of the car, and unzipped the top half to tie around my waist. I was glad I'd remembered to pull a black tee on underneath, so I at least felt a little more grown up.

The door was unlocked, and I pushed it open to silence. I carefully shut it behind me, and wandered down the hall to the kitchen.

River and David were sat on one side of the table, both staring at a boy. He stood as I walked in, and turned to stretch his hand out to me in greeting. "Good afternoon Amelie. I'm Jeremy."

I cautiously accepted his hand, and shook it firmly. He was skinny, with shiny black hair brushed over the top of his head. A pair of blacked out glasses were perched on the end of his nose, and I realised a little too late that he was blind. "It's nice to meet you. Please, sit back down."

He sat back in his chair with ease, and his fingers folded over each other as they rested on the table top. River and David glanced at me, and I shrugged. "Why don't you two go and have your dinner? It's near enough 6, you'll be hungry by the times it's been delivered." I passed them a pizza menu and ushered them out of the room, but both frowned as they left.

"Would you like a drink Jeremy? Or something to eat?"

He tilted his head in my direction as I poured two glasses of water for us. He just smiled as I sat opposite, and slid the glass across to him.

"Are you okay? David told me you asked for me, and that you were told this was a safe place?" I sipped on my water as he mused over his answer, his fingers playing over one another.

"I was staying with a man called Matt Murdock. He had to go, due to unforeseen circumstances, but didn't want me staying alone."

I frowned, and glanced around the room. The name rang a bell but I couldn't place where I'd heard it before. "But why me?"

He sighed, "he wanted someone to... not look after me. But he wanted me to be safe, and he traced you here. He had to go, before I knocked on the door." David poked his head around the door, and Jeremy immediately straightened in his chair. "Please may you tell David to leave us alone?"

David's eyes widened, and he disappeared back into the living room. I sat, confused at how accurately Jeremy knew it was him. "How did you know he was there?" I asked, intrigued.