Prologue

Prologue:

I was sitting there on the couch reading a book when my huge stomach let out a terrifying growl. I looked down at my belly and said, "Are you hungry?"

It growled again so I took that as a yes.

My older sister was in the kitchen making desert so I called out to her.

"Nayeli! Hurry up, I'm hungry again!"

"I'm going as fast as I can. Do you know how hard cooking is? And you just ate!" she raged.

In case you hadn't guessed by now, my sister was lazy and moody, and of course, fat. It ran in the family I was told. I didn't remember my parents all that well so I wouldn't know but mom died in childbirth and dad got run over by a truck because he didn't cross the road fast enough. He was too big to walk like a normal person. It happened when I was young so I don't recall it. Sadly, the kids at school knew the story and always made fun of my family for it.

"You've been at it for ten whole minutes! You know I can't wait that long after dinner!" I yelled back.

Sometimes I felt that Nayeli and I weren't close enough as siblings and right now I was feeling that a lot. Despite having lived together for seventeen years she never got the hang of my urges for food. Honestly, it was frustrating.

I pulled out my red watch from my jeans pocket and looked intensely as the long hand ticked away. Two minutes later, I could not wait anymore. I marched into the kitchen and yanked open the fridge in search of something sweet. Tubs and tubs of ice cream lay inside flashing rainbow colours, but I wanted something else.

"Where's the custard?" I asked.

"I used it to make you pudding."

"What?" I replied, "Nayeli, you put custard over the pudding not in it!"

She stopped mixing whatever was in her white bowl and said, "Oh."

"This is why you don't get hired by anyone," I sighed.

"Hey, I have a job!"

"You hang out with druggos," I replied.

"No, I sell drugs. And all that money I get is used to buy your freakin' ice cream and this stupid custard!"

Nayeli's pale face became bright red from embarrassment and anger, and I took that as my cue to get out of there. As I left, I heard the unmistakable sound of her mixture getting dumped into the rubbish bin.

"Great," I whispered, "Now my desert is gone!"

I hurried to my room and locked the door behind me. There was a shirt on the bed with a note on it. I picked it up and read the message under my breath.