Prologue

~Rayne~ 

The system is botched. The system is corrupt. 

I should be in my first day of classes for my senior year of high school right now. I should be dressed to the nine's trying to impress some dumb boy who thinks they can get into my pants with a wink and a smile. I should be on the other side of town, starting Glennway High with the rest of my "friends" that I grew up with. 

But the truth is I'm across town from my high school, lining my car up to the starting line. I'm dressed in ripped black skinny jeans and a red tank top with a leather jacket covering my tatted arms. My "friends" ditched me when my father left and took his 6 figure wallet with him, leaving my mom and I in the dust without a dollar to our names. 

So yeah, though I'm not in school, I'm technically still enrolled, and I do grace them with my presence on occasion. 

The rev of a V6 turbo pulls me out of my wallow for what could've, should've been. 

The one thing dad did leave us with was his electric blue 2009 Subaru WRX. What used to be his baby, like me, was now trash in his eyes. 

I grip my left hand on the steering wheel, right hand on the gear shift. I take a deep breath and open my blue eyes to meet the girl standing clad in front of the start line. She raises her arms, throwing them down to her side. 

And just like that, the race has begun.