A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

Prologue

            It was around Christmas time in December. I was fifteen. I was stupid and naïve and thought guys like him only cared for looks and not personality. He was with a beautiful girl named, Rebecca, a girl with gorgeous blonde hair and sea foam green eyes. She had a beautiful figure and an amazing smile. How could I ever compete with that?

            I had plain pin straight brown hair, and stupid crap colored brown eyes, with a not so flattering body. I sighed and looked out through the window and a something came across the sky. It wasn't a plane or some stupid satellite; it was a star, a shooting star. I closed my eyes and made a wish.

            "I wish," I smiled. "To become beautiful."

            Then all of a sudden the lights began to flicker, and the floor began to disappear. My vision blurred and the only thing I could remember was a faint murmur in my ear and bright green eyes.

            "Wish granted."

Chapter One: A Fresh Start.

            "Marie, wake up hon." My moms gentle voice whispered in my ear.

            "Fv m're min'ts." I mumbled into the pillow, my mom chuckled lightly.

            "Marie we wouldn't want to miss your first day as a senior would you?" She mused, I groaned in response.

            "C'mon Mar it's a new school, a fresh start! You can make new friends and finally forget that stupid Derrick."

My heart sank to the bottom of my stomach. Derrick. Warm tears threatened to spill over my eyes as I thought about the boy I loved, or at least I thought I did, heck, I thought he loved me too. But then again, I guess you just can't trust guys anymore huh? I sniffled as my mom rubbed my back comfortingly.

"Aw, its okay sweetie he can't hurt you anymore, now be ready in one hour please." I listened to the soft click of the door as she closed it.

I sat up in my king sized bed and stretched. Then I dragged my feet over to the full-length mirror on my closet and gazed into my reflection.

            My hair was black, with wavy curls that came up to the small of my back, my eyes were a light sky blue that sparkled like the stars, my lips were naturally pink and full, and my complexion was creamy and smooth. My body was toned and had plenty of curves any girl would kill for, and my assets, well... They were quite large and I was about 5' 6". I sighed as I looked at myself.

This person wasn't me. Well, this outer shell of a person wasn't me. My black pin straight hair and my natural brown eyes disappeared and were no longer to be found. Even worse every time I tried to dye my hair back to brown it would change back to black in a matter of seconds. Whenever I tried to put in brown contacts, the same would happen, my eyes would burn like hell until I took them out.

I walked over to my closet and pulled out my new school uniform. It was a pair of black slacks, a black blazer and a red and black striped tie with the schools crest, a sword with two snakes entwined around it, on the breast pocket. It was a boy's schools uniform to the most prestigious all boys' boarding school in the entire country, Blackthorne Academy.

Now you might be thinking, why the hell does Marie have a boy's school uniform? Well, here's the deal, I'm disguising myself as a boy. But before you begin to spas (Yes its spelt correctly) out let me tell you why. The last school that I went to, all the boys wanted me and all the girls hated me, I had no friends well, except for my one boyfriend, Derrick, but that horny bastard tried to rape me. I cringed at the thought of him. My own mother came to a conclusion that it wasn't safe for me to attend that school anymore and it wasn't safe for me to be ME.

Now here I am, with an hour to get ready to attend an all boys' school. I grabbed the binding my mother laid out for me and tied it as tight as I could without suffocating myself and pulled on the red button up shirt and the blazer followed by the pants. I gazed at myself in the mirror and gasped, my hair! I looked around frantically and found a black wig with a note attached sitting on my vanity.

"I thought you might need this(:" It read, it must be from my mom, I thought. I pinned my hair back and pulled over the bald cap and wig. I looked into my reflection and I could hardly recognize myself, I looked... I actually looked like a guy! Amazed at my accomplishment I pulled on the black dress shoes that came with the uniform and grabbed my backpack and headed out to the foyer where my mom was waiting with my luggage and plane ticket, tears staining her cheek. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat but to no avail a heart-wrenching sob escaped my throat as I ran up to my mother and gave her a bear hug.

"I love you." I whispered.

"I love you more." She replied.

I let go with tears rolling down my cheeks and walked out the door as Larry, our driver, picked up my bags and loaded them into our limo. I opened the door and sat in the way back of the limo and closed my eyes thinking about my new school. I wish things were easier, was my final thought as the limo's engine gently lulled me to sleep. Then a familiar voice resounded in my head.

"Don't wish it were easier, wish you were better."