Chapter 21

XXI.

"Well, that was sure was a lovely time."  My mother's arm looped around mine as we exited through the small red door of Dave's gallery. The whole group followed behind us to make their way to their cars.  I could feel a pounding sensation against my forehead, and my heart still whizzed from the commotion with Drew, Rob, and Dave.  Biting my lip, I blinked to fight back tears.  

To avoid my mother's bright gaze, I looked down at the tossed up gravel scattered across the ground.  The hums of cars echoed around us.  "I guess you could say that."

My mother gave a playful slap to my arm.  "Oh, of course it did, silly.  We helped Dave alot, and I could see that there was definite chemistry between the two of you."

My heart started droop with a pang.  "Really?"  Good humored chatter rose around us as my friends scattered from the door to get to their cars.

"Oh yeah.  So much so!  Actually you two seemed more in love now then even when you and Dave went to meet with your dad and I.  I was kind of worried about you two, and the engagement was very unexpected; so, I feared for that you made a rash decision.  But, oh my, you guys I can see are more and more in love each day.  I am so happy for you.  Speaking of love birds, I have to get your sister."  The gravel stopped rolling when my mother grabbed my arm to a halt.  "Oh, Cal!" Her voice chirped.  "We are leaving!  I know that you are in love, but you can call Chess later."

Glancing up, I saw my younger sister roll her eyes.  'Caledonia!" My mother's voice was now harsher.  "Come this instance!"

My eyes watched as my friends crouched into their respective cars.  Doors slammed and some pulled out.  My eyes then met Drew's.  Standing beside his car, his door was flung open, and he gave me a small side smile.  I tapped my mother's shoulder.  "Excuse me." I said.  "I need to go.  Drew is waiting for me."

"Oh of course."  My mother's voice was polite when it shifted its attention to me, but it changed back to harsh when my sister's name came back on her tongue.

With hesitant steps upon the sharp pebbles beneath my feet, I made my way up to Drew.  He forced a smile and narrowed his eyes as if he did not know how to respond to my presence.  I took a deep breath and managed to say "Hey.  How was your time?"

Drew sucked on his tongue, making a small 'pop.'  His strong chest heaved with a heavy sigh.  My eyes never left his movements.  "I would be lying if I said it was really good, but I survived."

I gave a weak nod.  My mother's lecturing voice was heard behind me, but I could not make out her diction.  My sister's annoyed footsteps scuffed against the gravel.  "Surviving is a plus."  I said.

Drew shrugged his good shoulder.  "Yeah."  A car door slammed.  

An awkward silence tainted the air between Drew and I.  City life danced around us.  Chatter of different conversations could be heard.  Car horns sang.  In this city with such a dark vibrancy, I never felt so disconnected.  There I stood unable to hold a decent conversation with one of closest friends.

Pulling his arm up scratch an itch on the back of his head, Drew prolonged the silence.  His arm dropped as he finally said something.  'Well, this is kind of awkward."

I tugged at the fabric of my shirt.  "Yeah."

Drew's breath buzzed his lips.  "Look, Divy.  I do not know how to put this, but I am sorry for what happened today.  I want to be your friend.  Our friendship is the most important aspect of our relationship to me."  I heard my mother's heavy footsteps kick up gravel as she moved to the car.  "It's just that, I do not know how to put this, except to tell you that it is hard for me."  Such passion moved within Drew's eyes.  I looked down unable to hold his stair.  I tried to block his monologue out of my mind, trying to make his voice and words just become another feature of the city's sounds, but his voice remained steady and clear above everything else.  "Divy, perhaps people do not tell you this because they always think that you are full of yourself, and I am sorry for going deep now, but if I do not do it now, when will I be able to?  Please just hang on for me, okay?  But, I know people think that you are full of yourself, but I know that you are not.  Underneath your confidence and pride, I see this insecurity."