Chapter 10: Competition Part 1

I was breathing hard after my combat fighting with one of the trainers. I looked over at the games men as I walked over to the spear throwing. They looked extremely pleased, as expected.

I smirked. Yeah, I know. I’m a beast. I took the spear in my hand and let my eyes be attached to the silver. To how amazing it felt in my hands, but there was a strange of guilt mixed.

I pushed them away knowing I needed to focus. I proved that I was great with a sword and now I must prove that I’m great with a spear. 

I thrust it hard. It met with the head. I took another one. I thrust it again. This time it hit the heart. I went to go grab another one when I was interrupted. 

“You are dismissed Cato.” one of the games keeper spoke. I gave them a nod and wiped the sweat off my forehead. 

One of the avox people led me out. I walked down a long hallway that led to an elevator. 

I really wanted to speak to Katniss. I wonder if she’s okay.

She looked so nervous and almost sick looking. I debated if I should wait for her but then realized I’d be waiting for hours and people would wonder why I would still be here.

Like I’d pay attention to them anyways. I do what I want. I decided to go back to my room and take a shower. I could eat too.

________________________________________

I stood there for a half hour until she finally appeared. She looked pissed off. That’s weird. I walked up to her and gave her one of my dashing smiles. 

She just continues to scowl. “Ah, Cato, why am not I not surprised you’re here.” she said moody.

I continued to smile. I wanted to cheer her up. “Well someone is in a bad mood. What’s got your panties in a wad Ms. Everdeen?” I asked with a smirk. 

She rolls her eyes and crosses her arms over her chest. I can’t help my traveling eyes. “Why would you care?”

The smirk leaves my face and I turn serious. “You’d be surprised how much I do care Katniss.” I say to her and her eyes grow wide. 

“What’s wrong?” I ask stepping closer. We’re close enough for me to feel the warmth of her breath. I want to close the distance and hold her in my arms. She signs.

Her eyes close and she looks torn if she should tell me or not. “Hey,” I say and tuck a strand of hair behind her ear. “You can tell me.” I looked deep in her eyes.

She looks almost pained.  “I can’t Cato.” Let me in Katniss. Please.

I grab the side of her face and make her look into my eyes. To understand how much I care about her. What I would do to defend her. Why can’t she knock down those walls she has built and let me in.