epilogue

AUTHORS NOTE

hey frandsss!! yes, i finally am updating this book and giving it the ending it deserves. i'm not sure though if most of you knew that this book only had the epilogue left? i am sorry but there's not much left in terms of a storyline because they've both passed the climax of the book together. anyways, thank you for sticking around and keeping this book in your library– enjoy the last chapter! <3

MACKENZIE ZIEGLER

"I'll miss you!" I exclaimed, hugging Lauren extremely tight before moving onto Nadia. "So much. Both of you. All of you!" I laughed, wiping at my eyes as I looked around at all of my friends.

We were packing up and saying goodbye after yet another successful camping trip, packed with swimming, hiking, playing cards, singing, and laughing under the stars, breathing in the fresh air. Trips like these weren't uncommon for our group of ten (Lauren, Nadia, Annie, Asher, Maisy, Mandla, Maddie, Kailanda, Johnny and I) but they were often spaced apart, and meticulously placed within our schedules so that we all got to come. In the five years following high school, we've collectively moved to different places, attended college, earnt some degrees, invested in business, traveled the world, and experienced new cultures; and yet somehow, rather than growing apart, we grew together, learning from each others experiences and telling tales when we finally got to be together again.

Annie giggled. "You're always the most emotional, Kenz."

Asher poked her in the side. "You can't say much! On the road trip home, you always cry."

That elicited a laugh from all of us, and Annie blushed, but not before Asher could wind a protective arm around her.

"I think a group hug is in order," Maddie smiled, a mischievous glint in her eye.

The boys all protested, but us girls pulled them in, and before we knew it we were a tangle of limbs, clutching onto each other despite any protests we might have. We yelled at the close proximity, laughing. Getting together again was always a blessing, and no matter how much the boys pretended to hate affection, they were grateful.

I burst into tears, but silently. These were they people I would move heaven or hell for– I loved them to death. Leaving was always terrifying to me as we never knew when we would see each other next. When we all let go, Johnny reached for me, and I him, his arms wrapping around me from behind and me clutching onto his arms, hugging them tight. Love welled up in my chest when I thought about how well he knew me. He knew this was hard for me, and he knew I would be upset.

And, sadly, we all waved goodbye for the last time, heading back to our cars, yelling at each other to stay safe and keep in touch.

Wordlessly, Johnny let me go and offered a hand. I clutched it tight as we walked to our car, holding back even more tears.

"I'll drive." I told him. "I know you're shattered."

He began to protest, and I smiled weakly. "You looked like a zombie when we got up, J. It's okay, I need a distraction."

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Are you sure?" He asked kindly.

I nodded, and he threw me the keys, which I caught with ease. Six years dating Johnny, a master of all sports, had done my reflexes well.

"You can have a nap. I don't mind the silence, honest." I told him, backing out of the camp and heading onto the main road. I adjusted the mirror and my seat.