50 || Clock Tower

Start from the beginning

"Harry?" Katie whispered into the silence.

A shuffling sound could be heard from the centre of the room, then Harry Potter appeared as he pulled the Invisibility Cloak over his head.

"Katie—" he began, but didn't get a chance to finish, because Katie had thrown herself forward and was hitting every inch of Harry that she could.

"You idiot!" she yelled. "Complete — stupid — brainless — idiotic — git—"

"Katie—!"

"Why — would — you — enter — that — stupid — Tournament?" Katie spoke between punches. Harry tried to shove her off, to calm her down, but had no luck. "You're — going — to — get — yourself — killed — and — just — leave — me — like—"

"Katie!" Harry shouted. "I didn't enter!"

Katie abruptly stopped hitting Harry. Although she was no longer striking him, her arms were raised, as though she was preparing herself to punch him again. She blinked at him, her eyes wide.

"You didn't?"

"Of course not, you nutter."

"Oh..." Katie said weakly, bringing her arms down to rest at her sides. "Sorry."

Harry's mouth opened slightly in surprise. "You believe me?"

"Of course I believe you. You say you didn't enter, then you didn't enter." Katie responded. She lifted an eyebrow and looked at Harry as though he was insane.

Harry shrugged nonchalantly. "Ron doesn't believe me."

"How could he not—"

"He's being stupid." Harry said quickly.

Katie furrowed her eyebrows as a sudden thought struck her. If Harry didn't put his name in the Goblet of Fire then who did? And more importantly, why did they do it?

"Do you know who put your name in?" Katie asked stupidly. Of course he didn't know, otherwise that person would have their wand snapped and would be facing a hearing in front of the entire Ministry of Magic.

"No," Harry said. "But Moody reckons that whoever put my name in there wants me dead."

Katie almost laughed at how calmly Harry could say that someone wanted him dead. Almost, but she couldn't laugh, because now was not the time for jokes. Katie was plunged back into deep thought.

"Who on Earth would want you dead?" But the answer skipped through Katie's mind as soon as the question rolled off her tongue.

"Voldemort. Sorry—" Harry added quickly when Katie flinched at his use of that name.

"But You-Know-Who is... well... gone. You got rid of him years ago."

Harry let out a deep sigh. He nervously chewed his lip and ran a hand through his hair (which Katie thought was really cute, but she pushed that aside, because once again, this was not the time).

"I haven't told you this but, over summer, I had this dream..." Harry started explaining and Katie's mind flicked back to the dream she had about her father. "Voldemort — sorry — was there. He was with Wormtail and another man, I don't know who, but they were plotting someone's murder..."

Harry paused and swallowed harshly. Katie stared at him intently.

"They were plotting my murder." Harry finished.

Katie felt her body momentarily tremble when Harry concluded his short story.

"So you think that—" Katie stopped talking abruptly when her attention was sparked by a small thud. Harry heard it too. Both of their heads turned at the exact same time, and it was clear to them now that the sound they were hearing was footsteps coming up the stairs.