Chapter 1

Dipper slowly began to twist the screw with his fingers to find it wasn’t going to move, he needed a screwdriver. He glanced back up over the mound of destroyed boxes and broken furniture and after seeing the huge, mangled silhouette he ducked down as fast as he could. A dark, sinister grumble followed by the scraping sound of metal hit Dipper’s ears causing him to hold his breath and clenched his eyes shut in attempt to stay quiet. He felt his blood turning cold in his veins and his skin crawled on the back of his neck and shoulders. He was just about ready to cry, where on Earth was he going to find a screwdriver to open the trapdoor and escape this horrid situation? He couldn’t stay up in the attic much longer without the thing noticing him and surely killing him instantly.

~Prior~

Earlier in the morning, Dipper had been trudging endlessly through the dense forest outside his residence of Gravity Falls in search of yet another anomaly, another Cryptid if you will. He and Mabel had been online again and in their excitement of discovering a new undiscovered creature supposedly living in the forests close to town, Dipper couldn’t wait to go and see if the rumors were true. But despite his past experience and knowledge on such things, he decided he would go empty handed and just catch a glimpse of the creature to firstly convince himself of it’s existence, so he could continue further searches for it after collecting more information. This was a careless mistake he would regret for a long time. 

Dipper came across an old, torn down building some three hundred meters away that he did not recognize. He was almost sure that he had the entire forest, or most of it, mapped out and memorized. He hadn’t gone that far away, it was relatively close to home. Dipper frowned in confusion and was puzzled that he hadn’t noticed it before. His natural instinct was to take a look and upon closer inspection the building was a lot older than he first thought. There was a gaping big hole in the roof and all the paint had almost completely peeled off the wood. The house was built on a 40 degree incline at the base of a tree covered hill in one of the densest parts of the forest and the house was held level with a brick wall; holding the floor perfectly horizontal. The front, side and back door had been nailed shut and Dipper didn’t have time to try and break them down, especially when there was a perfectly useful hole in the roof.

He pulled up his shorts a little, rubbed his hands together before climbing up the side of the building, clinging to the gutter and rolling up onto the tiled portion of the semi-intact roof. He cautiously stepped over to the edge of the hole and peered inside. Cloudy dust was drifting through the air and settling on the floor, giving Dipper the idea that the roof must have collapsed within minutes of him seeing the building and he thought it was safer to get down in there than risk his body weight collapsing the rest of the roof and injuring himself. He sat with his feet dangling down, slid his butt off the edge and landed with a soft pat on the floor, his knees bent down to cushion the fall. He stood up and dusted himself off and looked at his surroundings. broken roof tiles scattered across the floor, broken pieces of wood and furniture all over the place. 

He walked over to one side where there was less rubble and opened a few drawers of an old Duchess finding only a paper weight and a few old pencils. The Duchess had a broken mirror above it, small shards of glass lay on the top of the drawers. Dipper was about to turn around when a quick look at the ground had him fixated and hunched over. Smeared across the wooden floor was a dark red/brown liquid. Dipper frowned.

Blood?

He slowly stood straight again and caught a glimpse of something horrific in the distorted reflection of the shattered mirror in front of him. A Bipedal creature nearly twice Dipper’s height and width hunching over, cowered in the far corner of the room with it’s back to Dipper. It was breathing heavily and it fidgeted around making harsh sounding spits and grunts. Dipper took no time to duck behind the nearest thing he could fine beside him, a pile of broken furniture and wooden crates and he sat still as a statue, absolutely petrified. He heard the creature move along the floor before standing up and bashing it’s limbs against the walls in a fit of rage. It let out a scream so terrifying, so obscene that Dipper might have dropped dead that very moment.