49 || The Goblet of Fire

Start from the beginning

"L-Leo..." Katie stammered. "L-Leo, Pansy, do you think he's—"

Pansy cut Katie off harshly. "No. Leo is OK, Katie, I promise you."

"B-but he's out there all alone and—"

"And hundreds of trained officials are out looking for him. Besides, your mother is probably with him too, right. I am positive your brother is going to be just fine."

"You think?" Katie asked weakly, sniffling.

"I know."

Katie slowly unraveled herself from Pansy's arms, but Pansy kept a comforting hand on Katie's shoulder.

"Sorry if I woke you." Katie muttered guiltily. Pansy smiled.

"Don't worry about it. It's still only early — about eleven, I think. You went to bed quite early."

Katie shrugged. "I didn't feel like having everyone whisper about me."

Earlier that day, at breakfast, the post had arrived, and hundreds of students received the latest print of the Daily Prophet, which declared that Maria Blair and Leo Blair were officially missing persons. So all day, eyes and whispers followed Katie wherever she went, and every single eye in the common room had been fixed on her, so by nine o'clock, the stress had become too much. She packed up her things and went to bed early, hoping to sleep and forget her family for just a couple of hours.

But then she had that dream — that nightmare, and it was so real, and the teenager knew that she was seeing her father's death exactly how it had happened. The thought of it sent chills through her bones.

The following day, Katie was exceptionally quiet, and kept to herself even more so than she had been doing since the World Cup. Pansy accompanied her to each class, which Katie greatly appreciated. It didn't take Katie's friends long to notice that something was troubling her.

"Katie," Ron said cautiously that afternoon in Potions class. "Are you alright?"

Katie glanced briefly at Ron before averting her eyes back to her cauldron, which was filled with a potion that resembled thick mud. Ron looked to Hermione for help. Nodding, Hermione cleared her throat and spoke to Katie in a soft voice.

"Did something happen?"

Katie's jaw clenched and she felt an uncomfortable shiver run down her spine.

"I had a dream..." she responded, her voice empty and cold.

"A dream?" Harry quizzed. He sounded both intrigued and bemused. Katie nodded slowly. She didn't really fancy talking about her nightmare in the middle of Professor Snape's class.

"A dream?" Hermione repeated. "What happened?"

"I..." Katie trailed off almost instantly. Tears were forming in her eyes. She blinked them away aggresively and gripped the edges of the table so hard that her knuckles turned white. "I saw my dad."

Hermione blinked at her, unsure of whether or not she should continue to poke questions at Katie. Harry and Ron glanced at each other. They too didn't know what to do — scared to say the wrong thing and upset their friend.

"I saw him die." Katie told them, her voice barely rising above a whisper.

Katie saw all the blood drain from Hermione's face in a matter of seconds. The Gryffindor girl gulped harshly.

"But... it was just a dream, Katie, I—"

"No," Katie was shaking her head. "It was so real. I saw him. Just him. There was a woman, too, but I couldn't see her — only hear her voice. She killed him, Hermione. Just like that."