And she goes inside.

Mullai opens the cover and takes out the new T-shirt, a dark green colored one and gives it to him.

He puts it on.

And all of a sudden, she does a perfect imitation of him..

She rolls her sleeves, rubs her neck,
strokes her cheeks and chin, bows her head and laughs just like him.

He laughs along with her.

M: Hmmm, eppadi..ennodae acting?

K: Semmae...

He is still smiling when she presses something into his hands.

K: Yennathu ithu?

It is money.

M: Chudidhaar kagae..

K: Mullai ithellam rombha over...

He is so angry.

K: Idathae mothalae vangu..

She doesn't.

He catches her wrist and when she turns..she is so close to him.

His shirt, it is not made for a woman's body...

The buttons strain a little bit..

K MV: Kannae mattum paathu pesu Kathiru...

And he does exactly that...he makes sure that his eyes do not wander.

He forces the money into her hands..

K: Mothalae dress eh poie maathu Mullai..(he begs)

He sounds so different..his voice all thick and gruff.

She sticks out her tongue at him naughtily, but she listens to him and goes inside the shop.

Shhhhaaabbbaaaa

He sighs in enormous relief...

K: Kolluralae...

He sits in the car feeling all hot and bothered...

And keeps the AC in full blast.

           ****

They pick up the rest of the gang on the way back.

Ka: (looking at Mullai in her indigo coloured chudidhaar) Ennae neengae aalae maaritingae...ennachu? Dress ellam puthusa irruku.

An: Athu onnum illae da...avah thannileh vizhunthutta..

Everyone wants to know what happened..

Anandhi tells them..

Ka: Seri...athukku ethukku Kathir annanum puthu dress potturukku?

Mullai elbows him on his ribs..

Ka: Amma!!!(in pain)

M: Dei konjae neram kelvi ketkamae amaithiyae va da.

As promised, Kathir takes them to Anjapper for lunch.

After their lunch, Kathir drops off Kanna near the Temple as requested. And drives over to Mullai's house to drop the rest of them, he asked them if they want to go anywhere else, but no one is interested.

Mullai is the last one to get down from the car.

She is searching for something in the car..

K: Yennae thedurae?

M: Andhae cover dhaan..

K: Yethu?

M: Adhaan. .naan unnodae dress...naan kazhutnelae..athu...

She searches behind the seat and finds it..

K: Irru...Mullai...enna pannurae?

M: Thuvachi tharren Kathiru..

K: Seri...engae kayae podae porreh?

She pauses ..she didnt think this through.

Where will she put it to dry?

If her over protective mother finds out that she had fallen into the water, that's it, she will be forced to be indoors for the rest of the holidays and that's the last thing she wants is to stay at home.

Even now she doesn't have a clue what she is going to say about her new dress.

K: Koodu... naanae thuvachikkeren..

With much hestitaion, reluctance and remorse she hands the bag over to him.

***

That night in PS house:

Of course his Anni interrogated him about the new T-shirt, he lied that he spilled something on his shirt and hence had to change into a new one.

Kathir knows Kanna won't say anything..not after being threatened with dire consequences if he did.

He goes to the back of the house and fills a bucket with soapy water and soaks the gray veshti in it. He pulls the shirt out softly, an image of her wearing it flashes across his eyes.

All these years of thinking that a saree is the most seductive dress a woman can ever wear, he now knows that his humble shirt has changed his opinion in a few hours.

He gives in to temptation and smells the shirt...An ordinary, everyday act but tonight it was anything but that, his heart pounding, he takes a deep breath and is instantly aroused. It smells of the aroma of both of them combined. This is exactly how their bedsheet would smell like, if they...if they..

Kadavulae....

He is sweating now...

He soaks the shirt in a hurry...

What was he even thinking?

It was as if, whenever Mullai is around him, he is in this haze of lust.

Not only lust...

Laughter too..

He realizes that he has been laughing more in the past few days than he had in many months.

By nature, he is a serious person...

And she changed that...

She made him see things in a different way..

He has this sudden urge to talk to her now...

This very minute...

To be continued...

************************************

A.n:

The power of a scent:

Some years ago, I spent six months as a missionary in a remote part of Kenya. I went there alone without my family. As the only Indian there, among many other Nationalities, rice was not provided there. So after two months...finally in the community kitchen, they cooked rice. And the smell of that boiling rice...it took me thousands of miles away to my mom's kitchen...it was as if I was right there next to her. I cried...after that on the very rare occasions they made rice I ended up feeling emotional and would choke up. That is how powerful a scent can be...it has the strength to bring us to tears.