Chapter 6

CHARACTER VIEWS DO NOT REPRESENT MY OWN. Please be civil in the comment section.

"Mm," I walked towards the kitchen, dropping my bag onto the floor and sniffing appreciatively. "Something smells good."

Jade looked up from where she was rifling through bags and passed me warm boxes, saying. "How does rice and chicken sound?"

"Takeaway?" I inquired, noisily going through the bags and pulling out boxes. Jade passed me the plastic spoons.

"Yep," she said and nodded. "You know I can't cook. Do you want to get some plates or eat off our laps?"

I gave an indifferent shrug. "I don't mind, laps sounds fine. Where's Seth?"

Jade yanked her head in the direction of Seth's bedroom. "In there. I think something happen to him during school but he wouldn't say anything."

"I'll go talk to him," I said, setting the boxes down and ambling over to the bedroom. I knocked firmly on the door, opening it and sticking my head in. There was no light on and the curtains had been pulled across the window but I could pick up Seth's small, shadowy figure lying on his singular bed. "Hey Seth man, why don't you come out? We're about to eat."

"I'm not hungry," his voice was muffled and he didn't bother turning to face me as he answered.

"It's Indian food; I know how much you love your chicken. Come on, Seth, I'm not going to quit until you get your ass out here."

He didn't reply for a moment before letting out an annoyed grumble. "Fine! I'm coming. Just give me a minute."

"Sure," I said, walking away but leaving the door opened. Jade was now sitting on one of the sofas, the remote in her hand and the boxes of food opened and on the table in front of her.

"Is the kid coming?" Jade asked, her eyes never straying from the TV. She was watching a reality show where the people looked like tacky pörn stars and were screaming vulgar words at each other.

I picked up one of the boxes of rice and one of chicken curry, spilling the latter on the former before grabbing a samosa. Seth sat down next to me and I passed him the joint boxes, glancing at him. "Here --" I did a double take. "What the hell happened to your face?!" I demanded, shocked and concerned.

A dark purple bruise puffed up his left eye which squinted slightly. "Don't," he said, moving out of reach from my hands. "It's no big deal."

"Are you kidding me? Have you seen your eye? Jade, look at his eye! Who did that to you?"

"I'm no snitch," Seth sulked, biting into his samosa.

Jade whistled lowly. "That is a very big shiner you got there, kid. At least tell me you hit the bastard back."

"I made him bleed," Seth grinned and gave a shrug as if it was an everyday occurrence. "Pass me those pakoras, Shay."

"Jade, don't encourage him. Which asshole did this to you?!" To say I was livid was an understatement; I could not contain my exploding rage. All I wanted to do was get my hands around the neck of the piece of shit who dared to put their hand on my darling brother.

"You know she's pissed when she begins talking really fast," Jade said, digging into her food, eyes back on the TV screen. "It's no big deal, Shay, kids fight all the time."

"Uh-huh, I don't think so. I'm going to see the head--"

"Don't do that. I'll be a laughing stock. I can handle myself, Shay. I don't need you to stick up for me. Come on, please. It'll be embarrassing." Seth pleaded, beginning to look upset.