Chapter Thirty-Seven: Interlude-Sakura's Determination

Start from the beginning

They didn't laugh, though. But after Sai's little show, Sakura saw it. The smile of the children as they watched in fascination.

Sakura felt relieved. These children still haven't closed their hearts. And soon, they'll learn the art of true happiness.

It was gradual, but Sakura could see it. In the not so far future, these children would be laughing and smiling, the horror of the war long forgotten.

When Sai took off after that, the children dispersed to the playground outside. Sakura and Ino were standing when two little girls approached them silently.

"Um–" one of them said shyly and Sakura and Ino kneeled down to face them.

"We really think that onee-chans are really pretty," one girl muttered, blush dusting her cheek.

Sakura smiled at the little girl's words when Ino burst out in laughter, the laugh was so sudden and loud that the two young girls flinched in surprise.

"Yeah, but you see this onee-chan really has a big forehead," Ino said in between laughter. Sakura had irkmark on her forehead as she closed her eyes.

"And this onee-chan over here, you can call her pig," Sakura said as she laughed at Ino's surprised face.

The two were bickering like when they were genins when they suddenly heard a small giggle. Sakura and Ino stopped and turned towards the two girls who were giggling.

Ino and Sakura chuckled as they heard the sound like music to their ears.

"But you know what," Ino started, pointing at Sakura. "This onee-chan is a really strong kunoichi. Once she was kidnapped and she singlehandedly beat the kidnapper to a pulp."

One girl stared at Sakura in awe as her eyes almost sparkled.

"And this onee-chan is really great in arranging flowers. She's also one of the most beautiful kunoichi out there."

The other girl stared at Ino in admiration.

It was one thing seeing them insult each other. That's what typical best friends do on a daily basis. But it was another thing seeing them compliment one another. And complimenting another woman's strength and another's beauty only show that these two kunoichi have grown mature over the years. Though most of the times, they're fighting at simple things like who could make the most delicious food pill or something.

The next day and the day after that as well as the following days thereafter, had gone by like a swoosh of the morning breeze. The children had gradually warm up to them.

Sakura was determine to see them smile and laugh again. And there they were, the children, smiling as they greeted them that morning.

And before they knew it, a month had gone by. Gaara showed them the clinic and Sakura and Ino were left to decide the finishing touch of the facility. They made sure to make the interior of the clinic decorated with things that children would love.

As Sakura was putting some painting on the wall, she couldn't help the smile as she thought of the day when she'll be doing this inside the room of her precious child. Sasuke would be there as well, making sure Sakura would not go overboard with her decorative skills.