Chapter Thirty-Seven: Interlude-Sakura's Determination

Start from the beginning

But Sakura made sure not to dwell on the matter any longer than a few minutes. It's been days and they are going nowhere near making the children comfortable with their presence. Ino once tried to get close, but to no avail the little girl just ran away.

Sakura have read a book once, about some kind of a strange friendship built from trust. She learned through reading it that to get closer to someone, would take more than a day. Slowly, time and time, they must thread casually, towards the children. And when they are finally standing at arm's reach, they would slowly grasp their hands and their hearts.

"Ready for another day of operation: get-those-children-to-smile?" Ino asked after breakfast as they were walking towards the Orphanage.

"Sure. I was really thinking what we could do to get those children to at least trust us," Sakura said thoughtfully. Gaara told them that a clinic is on the process of being built and they would be ready in a month.

"I think we should provide a therapy." Ino raised an eyebrow to Sakura.

"Like what? We've tried every games the kids back home enjoyed. But these kids just ignored them and played with sand." Ino put her hand on her forehead at the thought of yesterday's events.

"How about a story?" Sakura tried to sound cheerful, but honestly, even she was running out of ideas.

"That sounds incredibly boring." Ino rolled her eyes and stare at the pinkette. "But we could try."

Sakura sighed and was about to take back what she said about storytelling when Sai suddenly appeared beside Ino.

"How about I handle it this time?" Sai said with a closed-eyed smile. Sakura and Ino gave him a skeptical look but Sai just continued to smile.

When the three arrived at the Orphanage, they were greeted by the woman who ran the facility. She smiled at them and motioned towards the room where the children are staying right after breakfast.

When Ino, Sakura and Sai entered, the room was instantly wafted in silence. Well, it's been silent to begin with.

Sakura gave Sai a pat on the shoulder. "Good luck."

The pinkette wasn't really sure if Sai could grasp these children. After all, Sai's smile was a bit weird at first. Not to mention, he awkwardly stood there. Sakura heard from her former Sensei, Kakashi, that Sai was not able to have a proper childhood. He was raised in the facility built by Danzo to become a member of the root.

But Sakura wanted to trust him. So, as Sai stood in front of the children, Ino and Sakura stood at the side watching Sai.

At first there was just silence as Sai took out his ink and scroll. Sakura stare at it, the vague idea she had in her mind suddenly became clearer.

A few moments later, after a few strokes of the brush, there were butterflies, birds and even fairy-like creatures flying around.

At first, the children looked at the moving ink. And then gradually, their eyes shone with curiosity. The curiosity turned into a glint of little amazement. Until it became a mesmerizing glimmer shining on their eyes.

"These are like Kazekaga-sama's sand," one child said, looking at the animated objects.

"It's..." A child trailed off, seeming to have been looking for the word to describe it. "Cute," she finally said.